Register to reply

Looking for free video editing software for .MOV files.

by yungman
Tags: editing, files, free, software, video
Share this thread:
yungman
Apr26-14, 02:03 AM
P: 3,883
My camera only produce .MOV files. I want to record some demo video that needed higher quality audio than the camera can record. I have AudioBox USB with Studio One software for recording and editing the audio. I need to find a free software that can edit the video by removing the original audio and mix in the high quality audio from the Studio One software.

Can anyone give me a safe site? there are a lot of free downloads, but I am afraid of malwares.

thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Psinter
Apr26-14, 09:14 AM
P: 94
Hi,

I have personally tried lots of sites without problems. Unfortunately only the following from those I know keep offering transparency when it comes to downloading:
  1. Softpedia
  2. SourceForge

The others I have tried provide installers of their own (to make money with ads) and make it very hard to get the original download. Barriers of ads that make it easy for one to click on an undesirable place and get malware.

I know you didn't ask for editing software recommendation, but since I'm here, please allow me to reccomend: mkvmerge

It comes inside mkvtoolnix. The portable version is okay. Here are the integrity check hashes. Because .MOV supports MPEG-4 and H.264 it may be possible to use this software that doesn't re-encode. It just combines the audio with the video in an mkv container and it can be watched with the highest quality. I personally use it and really like it. In case you decide to use it, the executable is named mmg (so you can find it, because it isn't under the label mkvmerge).
yungman
Apr26-14, 11:51 AM
P: 3,883
Thanks for your help. The audio file the AudioBox USB and Studio One software produce is .SONG. Does the software support this?

Psinter
Apr26-14, 01:19 PM
Looking for free video editing software for .MOV files.

I don't think so. You would need to export it with Studio One to: mp3, wav, flac, or any other common format. All you need is to make sure the export settings (if there are any settings) to be as looseless as possible. I recommend FLAC format, but if the output file is too big then WAV will do it.
Psinter
Apr27-14, 06:39 PM
I have never used Studio One, but I found a video explaining how to perform the export: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy903qVZJZQ

It may help.

Register to reply