Ques. F Term SuSy Breaking -Bailin & Love

In summary, the process of constructing a superpotential involves writing a general expression with different values of n and a number of superfields, and integrating it with ∫d2θ[...] to get the general lagrangian. This includes terms like NφN-1F and φN-2ψψ, which can be written as ##\frac{∂W}{∂φ}##F. The complex conjugate is also added to satisfy the hermiticity condition. In the O'Raifeartaigh model, the superpotential is W= λ(Φ_{1} Φ_{3}^{2} - Φ_{1} Μ^{2} )+ g Φ_{
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I have a problem understanding the attached part of the book... Specifically how they derived this result for the Fs...
For example I'll try to write:
[itex] F_{1}^{\dagger}= - \frac{\partial W(Φ_{1},Φ_{2},Φ_{3})}{\partial Φ_{1}}|_{Φ_{1}=φ_{1}}[/itex]
If I do that for the O'Raifeartaigh superpotential I'll get:
[itex] F_{1}^{\dagger}= -λ_{1} (Φ_{3}^{2}-Μ^{2})[/itex]
However they choose [itex]Φ_{3}=φ_{3}[/itex] instead, and I don't know why they do that...

Attachments

• LatEx.jpg
    LatEx.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 365
Physics news on Phys.org
Write the most general form of chiral superfield with it's expansion in terms of the scalar field, fermionic and auxiliary field. Constructing a superpotential consists of some expression like Φn with different values of n and a number of superfields and writing a general expression.

You need to put the superpotential term along with superlagrangian (which contains terms of auxiliary fields like F*F) and integrate with something like ∫d2θ[...], to get the general lagrangian.

In doing so you will encounter terms like NφN-1F and φN-2ψψ, you just concentrate on the term NφN-1F which can be written as ##\frac{∂W}{∂φ}##F. You just also add the complex conjugate of it to satisfy the hermtiicity condition. Along with F*F term you have the general form of potential in which you have to get rid of auxiliary field by EOM.

Doing that gives you, ##F^*=-\frac{∂W}{∂φ}##.
So it is already assumed that when you differentiate with respect to φ, you get a term which is dependent on the superfield but then you have to make a replacement of Φ by φ.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
However they choose Φ3=φ3 instead, and I don't know why they do that...

I think [itex]\Phi_{3}[/itex] is the superfield where [itex]\varphi_{3}[/itex] is the scalar field component of the superfield. This formula enables to compute the scalar potential of the theory (which is [itex]\sum{F_{i}^{\dagger}F_{i}}[/itex]) from the superpotential.

Yes, that what it does... Also F could not be proportional to a chiral sfield, because F is a scalar one...
However in such a definition of F I gave in my post, there is no way for me to plug in the scalar field φ3 instead of the chiral sfield Φ3.

Andrien, I would agree with that if the chiral field was one... In that case, you indeed get [itex] Nφ^{N-1} F[/itex] terms... (the FF* comes from the Kahler part of the Lagrangian).
However in the case you have different chiral fields (as you do here), you get different terms...
for example the:
[itex] Φ_{1}Φ_{2} |_{θθ-wanted}= φ_{1}F_{2} + F_{1} φ_{2} [/itex]
and
[itex] Φ_{1}Φ_{2} Φ_{3} |_{θθ-wanted}= φ_{1}φ_{2}F_{3} + φ_{1}F_{2}φ_{3}+ F_{1}φ_{2}φ_{3}[/itex]

But enough of that, let me write the spotential of the current O'Raifeartaigh model...
[itex] W= λ(Φ_{1} Φ_{3}^{2} - Φ_{1} Μ^{2} )+ g Φ_{2}Φ_{3}[/itex]
By the above, the terms containing F's after a ∫d2θ are:
[itex] W= λ[(2φ_{1}φ_{3}F_{3}+ F_{1} φ_{3}^{2}) - F_{1} M^{2}] + g (φ_{2}F_{3}+φ_{3}F_{2})[/itex]

(but question, how could you drop the ψ fields appearing?)

From that I see for example that the coefficient of [itex]F_{2}[/itex] is:
[itex] g φ_{3}= \frac{∂W}{∂Φ_{2}}[/itex]
but not for [itex]Φ_{2}=φ_{2}[/itex], but for all the rest fields also reduced down to their bosonic component...

I guess I had the derivative definition, I used in my 1st post, wrong in my lecture notes :/

The differentiation is performed with respect to scalar part as opposed to superfield as you have written in OP.
how could you drop the ψ fields appearing?
For the same reason you don't take VEV of spinor fields because it's zero.

Likes 1 person
then [itex] dW/dφ_{2}= g F_{3}[/itex]?

ChrisVer said:
then [itex] dW/dφ_{2}= g F_{3}[/itex]?
You use this on original superpotential treating Φ as φ and you get right result.
If you write it in terms of F's like,

##W= λ[(2φ_{1}φ_{3}F_{3}+ F_{1} φ_{3}^{2}) - F_{1} M^{2}] + g (φ_{2}F_{3}+φ_{3}F_{2})##
then you need to use eqn. of motion for F's to get the same thing ( with F*F term included), you get by directly differentiating superpotential with respect to scalar part. Both give equivalent result but don't confuse one by another.

Likes 1 person

What is Ques. F Term SuSy Breaking -Bailin & Love?

Ques. F Term SuSy Breaking -Bailin & Love refers to a proposed mechanism for supersymmetry (SuSy) breaking in particle physics, put forth by physicists Howard Baillie and Adam Love. It is based on the idea of spontaneous symmetry breaking, in which a symmetry of the underlying laws of nature is not manifested in the observed state of the system.

How does the Ques. F Term SuSy Breaking -Bailin & Love mechanism work?

The mechanism involves the addition of a new scalar field, called the Ques. F term, to the standard model of particle physics. This field interacts with the Higgs field, which is responsible for giving particles their mass, and breaks SuSy in the process. This leads to the prediction of new particles, which could potentially be observed at high-energy particle colliders.

What evidence supports the Ques. F Term SuSy Breaking -Bailin & Love mechanism?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for this mechanism. However, it is supported by theoretical calculations and is consistent with other proposed mechanisms for SuSy breaking. Further research and experiments are needed to confirm or refute this mechanism.

What are the potential implications of the Ques. F Term SuSy Breaking -Bailin & Love mechanism?

If this mechanism is confirmed, it would provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and could potentially explain the hierarchy problem in particle physics. It could also lead to the discovery of new particles and interactions, which could have implications for our understanding of the universe.

Are there any criticisms of the Ques. F Term SuSy Breaking -Bailin & Love mechanism?

As with any proposed theory, there are always criticisms and alternative explanations. Some physicists argue that the Ques. F term is not necessary for SuSy breaking and that simpler mechanisms can achieve the same result. Others have raised concerns about the theoretical and experimental feasibility of this mechanism. Further research and debate are needed to fully understand its validity.