Gamma's New Journey: Highschool Physics Curricula and Textbook Exploration

In summary: For example, a person who wants to take an AP course might need a more in-depth textbook. For someone taking a high school course, a more elementary one would suffice.
Gamma
Hi every one,

Happy to be back. I took a long break from PF. Proud to tell you that I have a new baby girl now.

Being a stay at home mom, I have decided to volunteer in our school system. I have already set up a meeting with the school officials regarding this. Probably I will work with high school kids.

Can anyone point to some sources where I can find Highschool physics curriculum. Since I was educated overseas, (I attended graduate school in USA), I am not very familier with Highschool physics contend. Also, can you please let me know the titles of the most commenly used physics textbooks in schools.

Thanks so much.

Gamma.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which country?

Gamma said:
Hi every one,
Happy to be back. I took a long break from PF. Proud to tell you that I have a new baby girl now.
Being a stay at home mom, I have decided to volunteer in our school system. I have already set up a meeting with the school officials regarding this. Probably I will work with high school kids.
Can anyone point to some sources where I can find Highschool physics curriculum. Since I was educated overseas, (I attended graduate school in USA), I am not very familier with Highschool physics contend. Also, can you please let me know the titles of the most commenly used physics textbooks in schools.
Thanks so much.
Gamma.
At my high school (we follow the American system), we took a very-near-AP-level physics curriculum...

Pretty much take the AP Physics B syllabus (available for viewing at collegeboard.com), get rid of the rotational stuff, limit electrostatics to point charges, narrow fluid mechanics down to the basics (Using no more than P = Po + pgh), focus only on simple thermodynamics and ignore optics and waves, but touch the stuff on Planck's constant and E = nhf very lightly; then you have our high school college-preparatory physics course.

We used the textbook Physics: Principles and Problems by Paul W. Zitzewitz... (It's pretty light with the math-- most of the stuff is Algebra and Geometry level, with the exception being the stuff on vectors and forces)

Hope this was of atleast some help to give you a general idea.

Physics curriculum

I am talking about high schools in USA. What are some commonly used books? Any good sites that might be helpful.

Thanks

Gamma.

Well, see the book used at my high school for physics is probably common, but I would not suggest it. It is far to elementary and could be used in 6th grade easily.

I would say not to invest into "conceptual" physics textbooks such as "Conceptual Physics (Hewitt / Addison Wesley)" (what I have at my high school)

"Physics (Giancoli / Prentice Hall)" seems to be a far better choice.It all depends on what level of physics you want people to learn though I guess.

1. What makes Gamma's New Journey: Highschool Physics Curricula and Textbook Exploration different from other physics curricula?

Gamma's New Journey is different from other physics curricula because it takes a hands-on, inquiry-based approach to teaching physics. This means that instead of just learning theories and equations, students will be actively engaged in experiments and projects that help them understand the concepts better.

2. Is Gamma's New Journey suitable for all high school students, regardless of their prior knowledge in physics?

Yes, Gamma's New Journey is suitable for all high school students, regardless of their prior knowledge in physics. The curriculum is designed to start from the basics and gradually build upon them, making it accessible for students with no previous exposure to physics.

3. How does Gamma's New Journey incorporate real-world applications into its curriculum?

Gamma's New Journey incorporates real-world applications by using examples and case studies from everyday life to demonstrate how physics concepts are applied in the real world. This helps students understand the relevance and importance of physics in their daily lives.

4. What resources are included in Gamma's New Journey to support student learning?

Gamma's New Journey includes a variety of resources to support student learning, such as textbooks, online simulations, videos, and hands-on experiments. These resources are carefully selected to enhance students' understanding and engagement with the subject.

5. How does Gamma's New Journey align with the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)?

Gamma's New Journey is designed to align with the NGSS, which is a set of science education standards developed by a group of educators, scientists, and policymakers. The curriculum covers all the key concepts and practices outlined in the NGSS, ensuring that students are well-prepared for college and beyond.