Solve Vector v as Linear Combination of x & y

In summary, the conversation discusses expressing a vector as a linear combination of two other vectors. The individual provides their initial thought process and attempts at solving the problem before receiving guidance. They eventually come to the correct solution by setting up and solving two equations.
mr_coffee
Okay this problem seems easy, and i t hought i understood how to do it, but no.

Express the vector v= [14 -12]^T as a linear combination of:
x = [2 -1]^T; y = [-1 3];
v = _x + _y;
_ means that's were they want me to put an answer.

So i row reduced
2 -1
-1 3
which is
1 0
0 1

so why wouldn't the answer just be
v = 14x -12y

becuase
14 * [1 0] = [14 0];
-12*[0 1] = [0 -12];
which is [14 -12] if u add them so what the?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because x and y are NOT [1, 0] and [0,1]! Saying that the "row-reduce" to [1,0] and [0,1] does not mean they are equal to them.

I would suggest not row reducing at all:
[tex]\alpha x+ \beta y= [2\alpha, -\alpha]+ [-\beta,3\beta][/tex]
[tex]= [2\alpha- \beta,-\alpha+ 3\beta]= [14, -12][/tex]
so you must have [itex]2\alpha- \beta= 14[/itex] and [itex]-\alpha+ 3\beta= -12[/itex]. Can you solve those two equations?

Ahhh, i c, thank you Ivy! It worked out great!

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It can be represented as an arrow with a specific length and direction in space.

2. What is a linear combination?

A linear combination is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying each element in a set of numbers (or vectors) by a constant and then adding them together. In the context of vectors, it is used to express one vector as a sum of other vectors.

3. How do you solve a vector as a linear combination of x and y?

To solve a vector as a linear combination of x and y, you need to find the values of the constants that, when multiplied by the x and y vectors, will result in the original vector. This can be done by setting up a system of equations and solving for the constants.

4. What is the importance of solving a vector as a linear combination?

Solving a vector as a linear combination allows us to express a vector in terms of other vectors, which can be useful in many applications, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It also helps in simplifying calculations and solving complex problems.

5. Can any vector be expressed as a linear combination of x and y?

Yes, any vector in 2D space can be expressed as a linear combination of two basis vectors, such as x and y. However, in higher dimensions, more basis vectors may be needed to represent a vector as a linear combination.