Ski Turn Radius, Inclination at Speed & Balance

In summary, the conversation on a Physics forum started with a ski instructor seeking advice on a question about turn radius and inclination. The problem involved determining a skier's falling-over rate and the turn radius that compensates for it. The instructor provided a detailed explanation of their calculations, initially using an incorrect formula but later correcting it. The final answer for the required turn radius at a speed of 30 mph and 45-degree inclination was 60.22 feet, which the instructor found to be half of their initial estimate. They also expressed a desire for further exploration of the topic and requested feedback on their ideas.
michaela
Hi all. First post on a Physics Forum for me. o:)

As a ski instructor I generally hang out on the EpicSki Teaching & Technical Forum but the jocks over there try and beat me up whenever I delve into a mathematical exploration of our sport. :yuck: A recent question (though likely asked solely in humor) got me to wondering about our perceptions vs. the reality of Turn Radius and Inclination. The ‘problem’ as stated was…

===Originally Posted by Rick=====================
... At a speed of 30 mph, and an edge angle of 45 degrees, at what sidecut radius threshold will a skier begin needing to employ reverse angulation to remain balanced on his outside ski?
=======================================

The core of the problem seemed first to determine one's 'falling-over rate' and then to figure out the turn radius that compensates for that rate of fall. Below is a shortened version of my attempt to answer the question on EpicSki.

If you would, please advise on the accuracy of my simplistic thinking & wording.

===content from my post======================
OK, for starters a constant speed of 30 mph is actually 158,400 feet per hour, or 44 f/s. I also assumed:
  • 1) Our skier is perfectly inclined (stance is straight up from the ski - no body-angulation) at 45-degrees from the specified Outside-Ski's Inside Edge, placing the skiers CM exactly 45-degrees from that edge…

2) Our skier is traversing ‘flat’ terrain for the entire turn (to remove slope-angle confusion).

When an out-of-balance object is 'falling over' from such a pivot point as the "Outside-Ski's Inside Edge" its rate of acceleration (falling over) depends on the degree of tilt the CM is away from 'vertical' (WRT Gravity) over that pivot point.

I earlier used 22.733 f/s² (in error) as my ‘rate of falling over’ when tipped to a 45-degree angle. This is true when measured in the direction of the fall (at 45-degrees) - but I should have been using 16.075 f/s² since I need only the horizontal component of the ‘falling rate’ (because the Centripetal Acceleration of our ski is -horizontal- to our flat terrain, right?).

Our skier’s horizontal rate of fall-over is at 16.075 f/s² horizontally so we need a turn radius made at 30-mph that will deliver this rate. The centripetal acceleration of a ski making a turn should be obtainable with V²/r or (Velocity²/radius). Since we want it to equal 16.075 f/s² (the rate our skier is falling over) I’m thinking we need
(44 f/s)² / (unknown-radius in feet) = (16.075 f/s²)
(1936 f²/s²) / (unknown-radius in feet) = (16.075 f/s²)
(1936 f²/s²) = (16.075 f/s²) x (unknown-radius in feet)
(1936 f²/s²) / (16.075 f/s²) = (unknown-radius in feet)
(1936 f²/s²) / (16.075 f/s²) = (120.435 feet)

Our -ski- is being 'pushed' horizontally to the inside of our 120.435-foot radius turn at the rate of 16.075 f/s² by Centripetal Acceleration (when at 30-mph). Since we’re leaning in at 45-degrees, our CM is also ‘falling’ to the inside of our turn at that same rate (at least horizontally).

So long as the push-to-the-inside by the ski is the same rate as we’re falling to the inside we never quite 'fall' any lower - we’re in balance.

A 120-foot radius seems big to me but consider this... the rate of 'falling over' that's important is not that of our -head- (where we mostly perceive such things) it's our -CM- that matters. Also, at 30mph a 120-foot radius turn wouldn't seem all that big. Remember, we're moving at 44 fps - that means we'd complete a full 180-degree skiing turn in 8.5 seconds. Also remember it's the CM at 45-degrees from the Outside-Ski's edge - the ski & leg we often reach way out there - far to the outside of our body.
===End of EpicSki post=======================

Here are the specifics is used to get to my answer...
Sin(45) = .707 -and- Cos(45) = .707
Frictionless ‘toppling’ acceleration at 45-degrees is... 22.733 f/s² (tangential direction)
Horizontal component of this acceleration is... Rate-of-Acceleration x Cos(45) -or- 22.733 x .707 = 16.075 f/s²

Using (Velocity²/radius) as my formula for centripetal acceleration I came up with the series of calculations as listed in the ‘post’ clipping above. Even after looking over my thinking several times a 120' radius still seems a bit large for an ‘in-balance’ 45-degree inclination but I can't find any fault with my thinking on it. Perhaps someone here can?

Once I have a solid second opinion on the topic above, I plan to further explore the Radius and Inclination changes that would be required as the skier negotiates a complete turn on a variety of slope angles. Should be interesting. Thank Hobbes for Excel.

Appreciate any input on the ideas presented above and I’m sure I’ll have more curiosities in the future. And yes, I’ll always make a good-faith effort to figure things out on my own prior to posting questions or requesting further review.

.ma
PS: I used 3 decimal places more for traceability (for observers) rather than for any kind of real accuracy...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gee, this is fun. OK maybe not, since I think I blew it above. Just pulled up Excel and played around with some of these relationships again and discovered a mondo error lining up my problem statement.

I should have been looking at the direction of these forces and using Tan(angle) to get the horizontal force needed to oppose the vertical pull of gravity, right? (not the horizontal portion of the rate of acceleration…)

I now get a required acceleration of 32.15 f/s² at 45-degrees, and therefore...

(44 f/s)² / (unknown-radius in feet) = (32.15 f/s²)
(1936 f²/s²) / (unknown-radius in feet) = (32.15 f/s²)
(1936 f²/s²) = (32.15 f/s²) x (unknown-radius in feet)
(1936 f²/s²) / (32.15 f/s²) = (unknown-radius in feet)
(1936 f²/s²) / (32.15 f/s²) = (60.22 feet)

Pretty much half of what I originally thought.

Aw Nuts :frown: . If that’s so, then I got to go back to Epic and fess up to some bozo thinking. Still would like to hear from someone who can confirm on this new line of thinking though.

.ma

in case you were wondering.

I find your exploration of turn radius and inclination at speed to be fascinating. Your approach to the problem is well thought out and your use of mathematical equations is appropriate. I agree with your calculation of a 120-foot radius for a skier at 30 mph and a 45-degree inclination to remain in balance. While this may seem like a large radius, it is important to consider the horizontal component of the falling rate, rather than just the perceived vertical component.

I also commend you for taking slope angle out of the equation in your calculations. This can often add unnecessary complexity to the problem and make it difficult to find a clear solution.

I look forward to seeing your further exploration of turn radius and inclination changes on different slope angles. This could potentially provide valuable insights for skiers and instructors alike.

In conclusion, your approach to this problem is sound and your calculations appear to be accurate. Keep up the good work and continue to explore the physics behind skiing.

1. What is ski turn radius?

Ski turn radius refers to the arc or curved path that a ski makes when turning. It is determined by the sidecut of the ski, which is the difference in width between the tip, waist, and tail of the ski.

2. How does inclination at speed affect ski turns?

Inclination at speed refers to the angle at which a skier leans or tilts their body while skiing at high speeds. This angle can greatly impact the shape and size of a ski turn. The greater the inclination, the tighter the turn will be, while less inclination will result in a wider turn.

3. What role does balance play in ski turns?

Balance is crucial in ski turns as it helps a skier maintain control and stability while making turns. Proper balance allows a skier to distribute their weight evenly between both skis and adjust their center of gravity in order to execute different types of turns and navigate varying terrain.

4. How do different ski turn radii affect skiing?

The ski turn radius can greatly impact a skier's experience on the slopes. A smaller turn radius, found in slalom skis, allows for quick and agile turns, making them ideal for skiing on steep and narrow terrain. A larger turn radius, found in all-mountain skis, provides greater stability and control at higher speeds and is better suited for wide, open slopes.

5. Can ski turn radius, inclination, and balance be improved with practice?

Yes, with practice, skiers can improve their turn radius, inclination, and balance. By focusing on proper technique and body positioning, skiers can learn to make more precise and controlled turns. Additionally, practicing on different types of terrain and conditions can help improve overall balance and adaptability in ski turns.