Ten Obscure Factoids Concerning Albert Einstein

In summary: And Air New Zealand handed out socks with Koala's on them on a flight that ultimately went to Australia.In summary, Einstein was a slob who refused to "dress properly" and liked his feet naked. He also liked to walk around on his areaolas and corneas and phalanges.
scott1
http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/19980907140525data_trunc_sys.shtml
1. He Liked His Feet Naked

"When I was young, I found out that the big toe always ends up making a hole in the sock," he once said. "So I stopped wearing socks." Einstein was also a fanatical slob, refusing to "dress properly" for anyone. Either people knew him or they didn't, he reasoned - so it didn't matter either way.
:rofl:
That's strange.

Physics news on Phys.org
scott1 said:
1. He Liked His Feet Naked

"When I was young, I found out that the big toe always ends up making a hole in the sock," he once said. "So I stopped wearing socks." Einstein was also a fanatical slob, refusing to "dress properly" for anyone. Either people knew him or they didn't, he reasoned - so it didn't matter either way.
:rofl:
That's strange.
No. Actually, that is my preference - no shoes, no socks, thank you very much!

Astronuc said:
No. Actually, that is my preference - no shoes, no socks, thank you very much!

:grumpy: hippie!

What the hell is a factoid anyway?

Mk said:
What the hell is a factoid anyway?
fac·toid: The proper unit of measure for a bit of useless information. :wink:

I always take off my shoes even during class and while studying at the library. I don't take off my socks though. My feet would get cold.

JasonRox said:
I always take off my shoes even during class and while studying at the library. I don't take off my socks though. My feet would get cold.

I was there three years ago! I've found a more efficient method, I wear sandals with socks, that way it's always good.

I walk around on my areaolas and corneas and phalanges.

rachmaninoff2 said:
I was there three years ago! I've found a more efficient method, I wear sandals with socks, that way it's always good.

Very true. :biggrin:

Pengwuino said:
:grumpy: hippie!
Yep! :biggrin:

rachmaninoff2 said:

Just so you know, people laugh at you histerically behind your back.

Sandals with socks? It doesn't make any sense. Of course, I live near the beach. Sand + socks, not so cool.

franznietzsche said:
Just so you know, people laugh at you histerically behind your back.

Sandals with socks? It doesn't make any sense. Of course, I live near the beach. Sand + socks, not so cool.
I always wear socks, even on the rare occasion I wear sandals. Usually, no matter what the place or occasion, I wear boots, even in the sand.

When I flew on Alitalia (Italian airline) the stewardess handed out socks to everyone on the plane. I was a bit confused, then the person next to me informed me that if someone wanted to remove their shoes, they needed to have socks on for hygenic reasons.

Evo said:
When I flew on Alitalia (Italian airline) the stewardess handed out socks to everyone on the plane. I was a bit confused, then the person next to me informed me that if someone wanted to remove their shoes, they needed to have socks on for hygenic reasons.
No, that was an excuse so they wouldn't have to tell the passengers, "your feet stink!"

Evo said:
I had the same experience on United and Northwest (IIRC, they were slipper socks on NW) when I flew to Japan or Taiwan. I think Lufthansa did the same too, on flights to Europe.

And Air New Zealand handed out socks with Koala's on them on a flight that ultimately went to Australia. :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
I had the same experience on United and Northwest (IIRC, they were slipper socks on NW) when I flew to Japan or Taiwan. I think Lufthansa did the same too, on flights to Europe.

And Air New Zealand handed out socks with Koala's on them on a flight that ultimately went to Australia. :biggrin:
When I flew to Japan and Thailand, no socks, that was on Northwest. They also ran out of toilet paper on the 26 hour flight back. :grumpy:

Evo said:
They also ran out of toilet paper on the 26 hour flight back. :grumpy:
So, they made an emergency landing somewhere, right?

Evo said:
When I flew to Japan and Thailand, no socks, that was on Northwest. They also ran out of toilet paper on the 26 hour flight back. :grumpy:
I know their service (as well as that of other airlines) has deteriorated somewhat over the past decade.

Twenty-six hrs? Any stops? Was that Bangkok to Tokyo to US?

I've been on coast-to-coast flights when the lavatories were closed. :yuck: :grumpy: That might have been NW. :rofl: :rolleyes:

Astronuc said:
I know their service (as well as that of other airlines) has deteriorated somewhat over the past decade.
I have refused to fly NW since then.

Twenty-six hrs? Any stops? Was that Bangkok to Tokyo to US?
From Bangkok to Chicago with a VERY LONG stop over in Tokyo, same plane. If I hadn't been so tired, I would have taken their offer of $700 to get off the plane. They were horribly over booked, so they were offering people money to give up their seats.

Evo said:
I have refused to fly NW since then.

From Bangkok to Chicago with a VERY LONG stop over in Tokyo, same plane. If I hadn't been so tired, I would have taken their offer of $700 to get off the plane. They were horribly over booked, so they were offering people money to give up their seats.
I seldom fly NW unless I have no other option.

Over the years I ended up on 6-7 frequent flyer programs, but I now tend to fly one airline. AA, UA, and US have all given me problems. DL is better, but so far CO has been the best, although I have usually had good experience with all the foreign airlines, except for Iberia whose employees went on strike :grumpy: the day before I was to leave Spain.

1. Who is Albert Einstein?

Albert Einstein was a German-born theoretical physicist who is widely recognized as one of the most influential scientists of the 20th century. He is best known for his theory of relativity and his famous equation E=mc^2.

2. What are some lesser-known facts about Albert Einstein?

Some obscure factoids about Einstein include his love for sailing, his lifelong struggle with dyslexia, and his refusal to wear socks.

3. How did Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2, come about?

Einstein developed this equation as part of his special theory of relativity, which he published in 1905. The equation shows the relationship between energy (E), mass (m), and the speed of light (c).

4. Was Einstein only known for his work on relativity?

No, Einstein made significant contributions to many areas of physics, including quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and cosmology. He also had a strong interest in philosophy and politics.

5. How did Einstein's theories impact the scientific community?

Einstein's theories revolutionized our understanding of space, time, and gravity. They also paved the way for new scientific discoveries and technological advancements, such as the development of nuclear energy and the creation of GPS systems.