Integral/Derivative Problem Solving Question

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a heated metal wire with varying temperatures at different distances from the heated end. The function ti is decreasing and twice differentiable. The questions included estimating t'(7), writing an integral expression for the average temperature of the wire, finding the integral with upper limit 8 and lower limit 0, and determining if the data is consistent with the assertion that T''(x)>0 for every x from 0 to 8.
tangents
Code:
----------------------------------------------
| Distance x in cm |   0 |  1 |  5 |  6 |  8 |
-------------------|-----|----|----|----|----|
| Temp t(x) in °C  | 100 | 93 | 70 | 62 | 55 |
----------------------------------------------

Metal wire is 8 cm. and heated at one end. distance x is how far from the heated end you are. The function ti s decreasing and twice differentiable.
a) estimate t'(7)
b) write an integral expression of T(x) for avg temp of wire. estimate avg temp of wire using trapezoidal sum with 4 subintervals indicated by data
c) Find int up limit 8 lower limit 0. explain the meaning of this in the context of the problem
d) Is that data consistent with teh assertion that T''(x)>0 for every x from 0 to 8. explain

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any specific questions regarding the problem?

Are you stuck on one particular question?

i don't get the whole thing

bump...

What have you tried so far?

for part a, I tried to get the slope from 6-8, which is the derivative and plug in 7 but i am not sure if that;s correct because it came out to be -24.5

This is interesting becuase I've just plotted your results and found that they are pratically linear :confused:

-Hoot:smile:

yeah that's basically what i did to estimate the slope at 7 but -24 just doesn't seem right

There's something a miss though, if your relationship is linear, then this will lead to a constant t'(x). Anyway, my value for t'(x) is -5.761. I can't see through this calculus though, with a linear expression.

-Hoot:confused:

Will it work if i try to find the slope of teh secant line to get the slope of the tangent line?

1. What is the definition of the Integral/Derivative Problem Solving Question?

The Integral/Derivative Problem Solving Question is a mathematical problem that involves finding the area under or the rate of change of a curve. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in various fields of science and engineering to model real-world situations.

2. How do you solve an Integral/Derivative Problem Solving Question?

To solve an Integral/Derivative Problem Solving Question, you must first identify the given function and determine whether it requires an integral or derivative approach. Then, use the appropriate formulas or techniques to solve for the area under the curve or the rate of change. Finally, check your answer for accuracy and make any necessary adjustments.

3. What are some real-world applications of the Integral/Derivative Problem Solving Question?

The Integral/Derivative Problem Solving Question is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It is used to calculate the velocity of an object, the growth rate of a population, the area under a demand curve, and many other real-world situations that involve change over time.

4. What are some common challenges when solving an Integral/Derivative Problem Solving Question?

One of the common challenges when solving an Integral/Derivative Problem Solving Question is knowing which formula or technique to use. It is essential to understand the problem and identify the type of function before attempting to solve it. Another challenge is ensuring the accuracy of the solution, which may require multiple iterations and adjustments.

5. How can mastering the Integral/Derivative Problem Solving Question benefit a scientist?

Mastering the Integral/Derivative Problem Solving Question can benefit a scientist in various ways. It allows them to model and analyze real-world situations accurately, make predictions about future outcomes, and understand the relationship between different quantities. It also provides a foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts and can be applied in various fields of research and experimentation.