Handsome calculus n00b seeks reassuring relationship with numbers.

In summary, the conversation discusses a confusion about a calculus problem involving an expression y=f(x)=\sqrt[m]{\frac{1}{x^{n}}}=x^{-\frac{n}{m}}. The speaker considers rational numbers and primes, and wonders if there is a link between the inequality expression and the triangle inequality expression. However, upon further examination, it is determined that the function is not irrational.
3trQN
Hi peeps! I have some minor calculus problem, well confusion is the problem.

I was playing about with some numbers while doing some differential calc problems, when i started to explore a little further one expression.

[tex]
y=f(x)=\sqrt[m]{\frac{1}{x^{n}}}=x^{-\frac{n}{m}}
[/tex] ----- (1)

Of course i thought about rational numbers and primes, and that a rational number is any number which can be expressed as the quotient of two integers.

So assuming:
[tex]n \in Z^+[/tex]
[tex]m \in Z^+[/tex]

I then thought about what if the exponent was a prime, so
[tex]\frac{p}{m}[/tex] where [tex]p=prime[/tex]

Then for:
[tex]1 < m < p[/tex]
The exponent would allways be irrational.

Upon seeing the inequality expresison i wrote down i wondered if there was a link between it and the triangle inequality expression. Is this the case?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
god title, but i think its puting people off

star.torturer said:
god title, but i think its puting people off

story of my life that :cry:

3trQN said:
[tex]y=f(x)=\sqrt[m]{\frac{1}{n}}=x^{-\frac{n}{m}}[/tex] ----- (1)

The last equality isn't true. Do you want:

[tex]\sqrt[m]{\frac{1}{x^n}}=x^{-\frac{n}{m}}[/tex]

or:

[tex]\sqrt[m]{\frac{1}{n}}=n^{-1/m}[/tex] ?
I then thought about what if the exponent was a prime, so
[tex]\frac{p}{m}[/tex] where [tex]p=prime[/tex]

Then for:
[tex]1 < m < p[/tex]
The exponent would allways be irrational.

What does this mean? The exponent is p/m, which is rational when m is rational. Are you saying the function is irrational? This depends on which of the above two functions you're talking about.

Upon seeing the inequality expresison i wrote down i wondered if there was a link between it and the triangle inequality expression. Is this the case?

I don't see what you mean. What kind of link are you thinking of?

Last edited:
Oops i forgot the x, sorry I am latex illiterate. I meant the first correction, edited my post.

Ok ill re-phrase the post to clear things up, apologies.

hmm nevermind, its best you all forget i ever posted this...i feel so stupid now :blushing: :redface:

It doesn't work. If x = 27, p = 7 and m = 3, then x ^(-p/m) = 27 ^(-7/3) = 1/3^7. None of these are irrational.

Yes, ok don't rub it in :rofl:

1. What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change. It involves the calculation of derivatives and integrals, which are used to solve problems related to motion, optimization, and more.

2. Why is calculus important?

Calculus is important because it provides a powerful set of tools for understanding and analyzing the physical world. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and even biology to make predictions and solve complex problems.

3. How can I improve my skills in calculus?

To improve your skills in calculus, it is important to practice regularly and seek help from teachers or tutors when needed. It is also helpful to understand the underlying concepts and principles rather than just memorizing formulas.

4. Is calculus difficult to learn?

Learning calculus can be challenging, but with dedication and practice, anyone can understand its concepts and apply them to solve problems. It may require some time and effort, but the rewards of mastering this subject are worth it in the long run.

5. How can calculus be applied in real life?

Calculus has many real-life applications, from predicting the path of a projectile to determining the maximum profit for a business. It is also used in fields such as medicine, finance, and computer science. Understanding calculus can help us make better decisions and solve problems more efficiently in our daily lives.