Is Mars Going to be Highly Visible to Earth in the Near Future?

In summary, Mars will not be as visible or close to Earth as some rumors have suggested. It was closest in 2003 and will not be as bright until December 2007. Three planets will align with the crescent moon in the morning sky, and calculations for the next closest encounter between Mars and Earth can be found through various resources such as the website heavens-above.com or the program Celestia. However, the accuracy of these calculations may vary and it is recommended to do further research or consult with experts in the field.
RAD4921
I just heard recently that in the near future Mars is going to be highly visible to Earth. What is the details of this? Why is this so and what dates, time and position in the sky can I view this?
thanks RAD

Astronomy news on Phys.org
http://stardate.org/nightsky/mars_spectacular.html
Mars Spectacular?

A story floating around the Internet this summer says that Mars will pass unusually close to Earth in late August, and will appear as large as the full Moon.
Sorry, but it's not true.

Mars actually made its closest pass to Earth in many centuries in August of 2003. It was quite bright then, but it still looked only like a bright star, and was nowhere near the size of the full Moon.

2006 is a poor year for viewing Mars. The planet put in a good showing in late 2005, but has been growing fainter throughout this year. In August, it is barely visible very low in the west for a few minutes in early evening, beginning perhaps 30 to 40 minutes after sunset. It looks like a faint star. It drops from sight by about an hour after sunset.

In 2006,
. . . when it will disappear in the Sun's glare. Mars will reemerge in the morning sky in late December. In March [2007], it will pass quite close to Aldebaran, the star that marks the “eye” of Taurus, the bull. Mars and Aldebaran will look like twins, with near-identical color and brightness.

http://stardate.org/radio/program.php?f=detail&id=2006-08-20
More Moon and Planets
Three planets that are headed in different directions congregate low in the east as twilight paints the dawn sky the next few days. And tomorrow, a thin crescent Moon joins them. The Moon will help you pick them out, but you'll probably want binoculars to see two of the planets.

The brightest of the three planets -- the only one that's easily visible to the unaided eye -- is Venus, the "morning star." It's just below the Moon at first light.

Venus has reined in the early morning sky almost all year, but it won't be there much longer. It's on the far side of the Sun from Earth, and will cross behind the Sun in a couple of months. Over the coming weeks, Venus will move closer and closer to the Sun, and will disappear in the Sun's glare within just a couple of weeks. It'll REappear in December -- in the evening sky.

The other planets are to the lower left of Venus -- so low in the sky that you'll want binoculars to pick them out.

The one that's highest in the sky is Saturn, while the other is Mercury. Mercury's a little brighter.

Like Venus, Mercury is dropping toward the Sun, and will soon completely disappear from view.

Saturn, on the other hand, is climbing away from the Sun. Within a couple of weeks, it'll be clearly visible in the east at first light. You won't need binoculars to find it. It'll climb higher across the sky later in the year, providing a bright highlight for the long, cold nights of winter.

Stardate is sponsored by the McDonald Observatory.

So the short answer is that Mars won't be near its brightest for another year and a half, having about a 2.5 year cycle of brightness and having been at its brightest last fall.

At its brightest, Mars is brighter than any star, but for the next year it won't be any brighter than a medium-bright star.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:

Thank you for your very informed reply. You know a lot about the current night time sky and I thank you for taking the time to reply so informatively.
I heard the rumor about Mars from word of mouth but I didn't hear that it would be as big as the full moon. Had I heard that I would have dismissed it as bunk.
I did get to view Mars in 2003 and I remember it was the closest it would be in many years. Today I found out on the local news that three morning stars would be aligned by the crescent moon. I am going to copy and paste your reply and send it to the local TV station here in Chicago that sometimes annouces atronomy events during the weather broadcast
Once again thanks for your detailed reply
RAD

For Mars, or any other planet look at:
http://www.heavens-above.com/planetsummary.asp?Session=kebgccdopcnooegbdkdcjjne [Broken]

Mars' next opposition is December 24, 2007. From Earth on out, all the planets are brightest, and nearest, at opposition.

Last edited by a moderator:
RAD4921 said:
Today I found out on the local news that three morning stars would be aligned by the crescent moon.
Three morning planets...

Attachments

• sky.jpg
    sky.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 333
russ_watters said:
Three morning planets...
Cool screenshot..:approve:

russ_watters said:
Three morning planets...

In the newspapers planets are often referred to as "morning stats" and "evening stars" though you are right they are indeed planets
RAD

But how accurate is the calcultaions that the next closest encounter of Mars and Earth would be on year 2287?...can you show me the actual calcultaion? formulas? equations?...just curious...thanks a lot friends...

DANDYBOY

um...go to school, you know how long it takes to learn the math involved ??

just get with your Trig and calculus and such. AND if you don't have time for THAT !

download and run celestia for FREE ! and you can speed up slow down, reverse, pause, orbital patterns all you want and see for yourself.

Did you notice that the post Dejaeviz was responding to was almost three years old?

Erm no ...:blushing:

I guess your not familiar with all time exists at the same time ? inter-dimensionally speaking, i just responded before i responded before he responded.

What is the significance of Mars being highly visible to Earth?

The visibility of Mars to Earth occurs approximately every two years when the two planets align in their respective orbits. This event allows for optimal viewing opportunities and research opportunities.

Why does Mars appear brighter than usual during this time?

During the alignment, Mars is at its closest point to Earth, making it appear larger and brighter in the night sky. This is known as opposition, where the Sun, Earth, and Mars are in a straight line.

How can I see Mars during its highly visible period?

Mars can be easily seen with the naked eye during its opposition. It is best viewed in a location with little light pollution, on a clear night, and with a telescope for a more detailed look.

What can scientists learn from observing Mars during this time?

Scientists can use this opportunity to gather data and conduct research on Mars, such as studying its surface features, atmosphere, and potential for life. They can also track the planet's movement and gather information on its orbit.

When will Mars be highly visible to Earth again?

The next time Mars will be highly visible to Earth will be in 2022, as the two planets align in their orbits approximately every two years. However, the best viewing opportunities may vary depending on Mars' orbit and Earth's location in its own orbit.