Creating a 4-Cycle Counter in Digital Logic

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a counter that outputs a 1 every 4th clock cycle in digital logic. The speaker is struggling with creating a truth table and seeks help on a homework forum. They are unsure if they are doing it correctly and their teacher and textbook have not provided enough guidance. Eventually, they realize their mistake and no longer need assistance.
Kenshin
Im not sure if this is the right place to post this but here's my question. I have to create a counter that outputs a 1 every 4th clock cycle. I can't make a truth table because it doesn't really make sense. I am a newb to digital logic and suck at it. Any one have any help.
Thanks
Jason

Physics news on Phys.org
Moved to homework forums. And yes, a truth table or state table would be a good start...

truth table doesn't work

I tryed a truth table and i was having problems with it.
present Next state
Q1 Q0 | Q1 Q0
0 0 | 0 0
0 0 | 0 0
0 0 | 0 1
0 1 | 0 0

So when I make the Karnaugh maps will have two values for 0 0. My teacher didnt really go over this well and the book has no help. So I am stuck at this point. What am I doing wrong?

got the answer nevermind

1. What is a 4-cycle counter in digital logic?

A 4-cycle counter is a digital circuit that counts from 0 to 3 in binary, and then repeats the cycle. It is commonly used in electronic devices to keep track of time or to sequence events.

2. How does a 4-cycle counter work?

A 4-cycle counter uses a series of flip-flops and logic gates to count up in binary. Each flip-flop represents one bit of the binary number, and the logic gates control when the counter increments to the next number. When the counter reaches its maximum value (in this case, 3), it resets back to 0 and starts the cycle again.

3. What are the benefits of using a 4-cycle counter?

A 4-cycle counter is a simple and efficient way to keep track of time or sequence events. It only requires a few components and can be easily integrated into larger digital systems. Additionally, it is reliable and can accurately count up to its maximum value without any errors.

4. Can a 4-cycle counter be modified to count to a different number?

Yes, a 4-cycle counter can be modified to count to a different number by adjusting the number of flip-flops and the logic gates used. For example, a 5-cycle counter would require 3 flip-flops and a different logic circuit to count from 0 to 4 in binary.

5. Are there any common issues or limitations with 4-cycle counters in digital logic?

One common issue with 4-cycle counters is the potential for glitches in the output. This can happen when there is a delay in the signal propagation between the flip-flops and the logic gates. To prevent this, designers may use additional logic circuits to synchronize the signals. Additionally, the maximum count value for a 4-cycle counter is limited to 3, which may not be suitable for certain applications.