How Does a Black Hole Attract Light?

In summary, the black hole is able to curve space-time around itself, to the point where light is pulled in.
Manu Vincent
Hi all,
We know that the black hole is able to pull every thing that get near to it, even light because of its high gravitational force. But, we know that light is mass less. Then how will black hole attract light?

Physics news on Phys.org
A gravitational source doesn't directly act upon the light. Rather, it curves the space-time that the light is traveling through. The light 'thinks' that it's still going in a straight line.

I agree with Danger, but does it only curves space-time?

little physicis said:
Gravitation = Spacetime curvature.

little physicis said:

Well, what else do you think a massive object should "curve", in addition to spacetime?

Don't confuse path curvature with sectional curvature. Path curvature is the magnitude of the acceleration vector of a curve, and has relativistic units of reciprocal length. The Riemann curvature tensor, which measures the curvature of spacetime, has components which are sectional curvatures, and they have relativistic units of reciprocal area (so do mass and energy density).

As Danger said, in gtr, in the geometric optics approximation, a laser pulse has a world line which is a null geodesic of the spacetime (a Lorentzian manifold), so its acceleration vector and thus its path curvature vanishes identically. This does not contradict the notion of "light bending", just implies that "light bending" means something a little different from what you might think at first, er, sight :wink:

Last edited:
let's (curve) this subject a bit, does the black hole only could do the curve thing? and is it posibel to get ((some thing)) that would have the same properities that the blak hole has??

:biggrin: just thinking loud:biggrin:

Acoustic and other analogs of black holes

little physicis said:
let's (curve) this subject a bit, does the black hole only could do the curve thing? and is it posibel to get ((some thing)) that would have the same properities that the blak hole has??

A not terribly successful attempt to explain in nontechnical terms a currently popular idea in gravitation physics:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Acoustic_metric&oldid=26629648
An excellent and authoritative technical survey:
http://relativity.livingreviews.org/Articles/lrr-2005-12/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
If you were going to take a Newtonian approximation (treating gravity as a force), I think it's fair to say you'd use relativistic mass (which is non-zero for light) rather than rest mass.

LOOK AT ENCARTA'S BRILLIANT GR ANALOGY! It can easily explain this problem...

Chris Hillman said:
As Danger said, in gtr, in the geometric optics approximation, a laser pulse has a world line which is a null geodesic of the spacetime (a Lorentzian manifold), so its acceleration vector and thus its path curvature vanishes identically. This does not contradict the notion of "light bending", just implies that "light bending" means something a little different from what you might think at first, er, sight :wink:

So you're the one who's been screwing with my reputation. :tongue:
You start with 'As Danger said', and proceed with an explanation that I can't begin to understand after reading it a dozen times. Now I know why I keep getting PM's from people who think that I know what I'm talking about. Stop that! :biggrin:

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star collapses in on itself and its density becomes infinitely large.

2. How does a black hole attract light?

A black hole's intense gravitational pull causes a distortion in space-time, which affects the path of light. The closer light gets to the black hole, the more it is bent and pulled towards it, eventually getting trapped in the event horizon.

3. Can light escape from a black hole?

No, once light crosses the event horizon of a black hole, it cannot escape. The intense gravitational pull of the black hole causes a curvature in space-time that traps the light within the event horizon.

4. How does a black hole's mass affect its ability to attract light?

The more massive a black hole is, the stronger its gravitational pull will be. This means that a more massive black hole will attract light more strongly, making it more difficult for light to escape its pull.

5. Is there any way to see a black hole's event horizon?

No, we cannot see the event horizon of a black hole because no light can escape from it. However, we can indirectly observe the presence of a black hole through its effects on surrounding matter and light.