How Does Current Change with Resistance in Constant Voltage Sources?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the relationship between variable resistors and constant voltage sources. The current through the resistor changes as its resistance varies according to Ohm's Law. Ideal and real voltage sources have subtle differences, with the main one being that an ideal source has zero internal resistance while a real source has some resistance. This affects the maximum current that can be drawn from the source.
greatest
Hey guys

I am new to Electrical Eng, i got a question to answer, it says that a variable resistor is connected to a " Constant Voltage Source", how does the current through the resistor changes as its resistance varies from zero to infinity?

I also need with the same question, but with a ideal constant Voltage source and real constant vol source!

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you know Ohms Law? If so, see how the current is related to voltage and resistance. Remember, the voltage is constant.

Yeh V = R*I, Since for the first V = Constant, Then I = V/R, I = 1/r, but what is the difference between ideal, real, and voltage constant sources!,

thanks

There are many subtle differences, and one big one. What happens to the current draw from an ideal source as the load resistance goes to zero? Would you expect the same behavior from a real source?

Can u give me some definitions for ideal and real sources and how the ohm's law works with those! And how resistance affects the current in those sources.

thanks and sorry really new with circuits and all!

Real voltage sources have an internal resistance - draw it as a battery with a small resistor in series. Now image you have a 12V battery with an internalal resistance of 1Ohm, as you draw 1Amp from the battery there is a 1V drop across the internal resistor and so you only get 11V out. What's the maximum current you can draw from such a battery?
AN ideal source has a zero Ohm internal resistance.

1. What is a constant voltage source?

A constant voltage source is an electrical circuit or device that maintains a consistent voltage output regardless of changes in the load or other external factors. It is often used in electronic devices to power and regulate the voltage supplied to the components.

2. How does a constant voltage source work?

A constant voltage source works by using a voltage regulator, which is a circuit that monitors and adjusts the output voltage to maintain a constant level. It compares the output voltage to a reference voltage and makes changes to the circuit accordingly to keep the output voltage stable.

3. What are the advantages of using a constant voltage source?

The main advantage of using a constant voltage source is that it ensures a stable and reliable voltage supply to electronic devices, which helps prevent damage to the components and ensures consistent performance. It also allows for more precise control over the voltage output, making it useful in various applications such as battery charging and power supplies.

4. What are the different types of constant voltage sources?

There are two main types of constant voltage sources: linear and switching. Linear regulators use a series pass element to regulate the output voltage, while switching regulators use a high-frequency switching circuit to regulate the output voltage. Both types have their own advantages and are used in different applications.

5. How do I choose the right constant voltage source for my application?

The right constant voltage source for your application will depend on various factors such as the required output voltage, current, and power, as well as the load type and environment. It is important to consider these factors and consult with an expert to determine the best option for your specific needs.