What material is best for cleaning an oil spill

In summary, Mattgator is doing a science project to determine what material is best at cleaning up an oil spill in the ocean. He plans to simulate the ocean and use motor oil. He is trying to do something similar to the Exxon Valdes disaster. Sea-birds and seals were good - they are very absorbant and biodegradable. Kitties would probably be good too but you have to teach them to swim first. OIL BOOMS work good and can be simulated in a small experiment also there is a fabric material similar to an oil boom that is shredded that floats on water and absorbs oil. you can find this stuff at a local Napa. It is mainly used to remove oil from antifreeze to
mattgator
I am doing a science project to determine what material is best at cleaning up an oil spill in the ocean. I plan to simulate the ocean and use motor oil. I am trying to do something similar to Exxon Valdes

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Mattgator.
My initial response to you question as posted in your thread title was 'Kitty Litter'. That's about the best thing for garage floors. :rolleyes:
I would expect that something like an aerogel might be best for your oceanic endeavours, but I'm not sure. Whatever you choose, it should have a high affinity for carbon, and a low one for water.

Are you looking for something generic or something that can be purchased?

mattgator said:
I am trying to do something similar to Exxon Valdes
Sea-birds and seals were good - they are very absorbant and biodegradable.
Kittens would probably be good too but you have to teach them to swim first.

OIL BOOMS work good and can be simulated in a small experiment also there is a fabric material similar to an oil boom that is shredded that floats on water and absorbs oil. you can find this stuff at a local Napa. It is mainly used to remove oil from antifreeze to allow it to be reused. Kitty litter does not float and Kitties won't stay in long enought to absorb any material, both of these issues will recovery of the wasted oil rather difficult!

mgb_phys said:
Sea-birds and seals were good - they are very absorbant and biodegradable.
Kittens would probably be good too but you have to teach them to swim first.

But the oil would stick on them and everything. they may not make it back alive. Furthermore. i guess that what mattgator is asking should be on things to help clear oil spills and not the sacrifise of animals!:rolleyes:

kaisxuans said:
But the oil would stick on them and everything. they may not make it back alive. Furthermore. i guess that what mattgator is asking should be on things to help clear oil spills and not the sacrifise of animals!:rolleyes:
http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?sourceid=Mozilla-search&va=humor

thanks, I can't use anything live in my HS project. Since I do not ant to remove excess water, I am focusing on things that separate the oil from the water

Since I do not want to remove excess water, I am focusing on things that separate the oil from the water, so I measure the effiency of the material

Oil and water separate pretty well by themselves...

brewnog said:
Oil and water separate pretty well by themselves...

Yeah, so you woould just need to scoop up the oil yourself. but if you ask me about materials..then I'm not that sure.:zzz:

Speaking of animals, how about something like a PigMat?

Gokul43201 said:
Speaking of animals, how about something like a PigMat?
That is exactly what I was getting at with my question. Pig rules.

Human hair and steamed chicken feathers (you have to steam them to get the blood out) have been used to clean oil spills. What comes off the barbershop floor won't cost you much either. Its amazing what can be done with that waste human hair...

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...Timmons+AND+keratin&RS=IN/Timmons+AND+keratin

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...Timmons+AND+keratin&RS=IN/Timmons+AND+keratin

1. What is the best material for cleaning an oil spill?

The best material for cleaning an oil spill depends on the type of oil and the location of the spill. In general, absorbent materials such as booms, pads, and sorbent powders are commonly used to contain and remove the oil from the water. Dispersants, which break up the oil into smaller droplets, can also be effective in cleaning up oil spills.

2. Are natural materials more effective than synthetic materials for cleaning oil spills?

Both natural and synthetic materials have their own advantages and disadvantages when it comes to cleaning oil spills. Natural materials, such as straw, hay, and feathers, are biodegradable and can be easily disposed of after use. However, they may not be as effective in containing and removing large quantities of oil. Synthetic materials, such as polypropylene, are more durable and can absorb larger amounts of oil, but they are not biodegradable and can have negative impacts on the environment.

3. Can bacteria be used to clean up oil spills?

Yes, certain types of bacteria, known as oil-eating bacteria, can be used to clean up oil spills. These bacteria break down the oil into less harmful substances, but they can take a longer time to clean up the spill compared to other methods. Additionally, the use of bacteria may not be feasible for large-scale oil spills.

4. Is there a one-size-fits-all solution for cleaning oil spills?

No, there is no one material or method that can be used for all types of oil spills. The best approach for cleaning an oil spill depends on various factors, including the type of oil, location of the spill, and weather conditions. It is important to assess each spill individually and use a combination of methods to effectively clean it up.

5. How can we prevent oil spills from happening in the first place?

Prevention is key when it comes to oil spills. Some measures that can be taken to prevent oil spills include regular maintenance and inspection of oil transport vessels, implementing safety protocols and emergency response plans, and using double-hulled tankers. Additionally, investing in renewable energy sources can reduce our reliance on fossil fuels and decrease the chances of oil spills occurring.