Unraveling the Mystery of Department Store Scanners

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, the conversation is discussing the workings of department store scanners and how they are able to read barcodes on various items. A laser beam is emitted and rapidly swept back and forth against the barcode, and hand-held scanners typically need to be perpendicular to the barcode in order to read it. When an item won't scan, it often works best to slowly draw the scanner away from the barcode. The reason for this is unclear, but it may have to do with allowing more light and better reflectivity onto the barcode.
KingNothing
Does anyone know the workings behind those little scanners that department stores use...you know, the ones that they can take off and aim at the barcodes on heavy things?

I know the barcodes themselves with the thickness of the lines and stuff represent the number that usually appears right below them.

How do the scanners pick that up so well? Also, why when something won't scan, does it always work best to aim at the barcode and slowly draw your 'scanner' away from it?

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, a laser beam is emitted from the scanner, and that beam is rapidly swept back and forth against the barcode using electronics/mirrors internal to the scanner.
Hand-held scanners typically(I believe) need to be in a general perpendicular orientation with the barcode in order to read it. I have seen counter-embedded scanners that use rapidly rotating mirrors to create a scan field of 6-12 different angular "lines" which seems to handle nearly any orientation of the barcode.
The "aim at the barcode and slowly draw you scanner away from it" is an issue I am not certain about, though I suspect that it can work in hand-held scanners that lack sufficiently sophisticated circuitry to deal with some barcode printing/package overlay(plastic wrap) situations.

Yeah, they are usually just your eveyday HeNe laser.

Paden Roder

I am hoping the 'draw slowly away' can be explained at some point. It works the best even when there's no plastic whatsoever. I don't quite get why...I'm looking online for explanations.

Alright, here is what I came up with.

It works better that way, becuase when you go from close to far, it slowly allows more light and therefore better reflectivity onto the barcode.

Hell if I know. Right now its basically a phenomenon.

1. What is the purpose of department store scanners?

Department store scanners are used to scan the barcodes on products in order to accurately track inventory, sales, and prices. This helps stores keep track of which products are selling well and which ones need to be restocked.

2. How do department store scanners work?

Department store scanners use a combination of light and sensors to read the barcode on a product. The barcode contains information about the product, such as its name, price, and inventory code. The scanner reads this information and sends it to the store's computer system.

3. What types of data can be collected by department store scanners?

Department store scanners can collect a variety of data, including sales data, inventory data, and pricing data. This data can then be analyzed by the store to make decisions about which products to stock, how much to charge for them, and when to restock them.

4. How accurate are department store scanners?

Department store scanners are highly accurate and typically have an error rate of less than 1%. This is because they use advanced technology to read the barcodes and the information is directly inputted into the store's computer system, reducing the chances of human error.

5. Are there any privacy concerns with department store scanners?

There have been some concerns about the privacy of customers when it comes to department store scanners. The information collected by the scanners, such as purchasing habits, can be used for targeted marketing. However, most stores have policies in place to protect customer privacy and only use the data for internal purposes.