Gradients and Directional Derivatives

In summary, the problem asks for two linear equations in the variables x,y,z that have a solution set of a tangent line to the graph of f(x,y) = x^2 - y^2 at (2,1,3) and are parallel to the x,z plane. The solution to part (b) is represented parametrically by x = 2 + 4t, y = 1 - 2t, and z = 3. To find the two linear equations, the gradient of f(x,y,z) = x^2 - y^2 is used to determine a perpendicular tangent vector, which is then used to find the equations of the two planes that intersect at the given tangent line. There can
Alw

Homework Statement

(a) Find two linear equations in the variables x,y,z such that their solution set is the tangent line to the graph of f(x,y) = [tex]x^{2}[/tex] - [tex]y^{2}[/tex] at (2,1,3) which is parallel to the x,z plane. (b) Represent the line of (a) by parametric equations.

Homework Equations

[tex]\nabla[/tex]f(x,y,z) = f([tex]f_{x}[/tex], [tex]f_{y}[/tex], [tex]f_{z}[/tex])

The tangent plane to the surface at a point:
0 = [tex]f_{x}[/tex](a,b,c)(x-a) + [tex]f_{y}[/tex](a,b,c)(y-b) + [tex]f_{z}[/tex](a,b,c)(z-c)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve for the plane (line in a function defined in two variables) tangent to the graph, and how to represent it parametrically, so I started with part b.

[tex]\nabla[/tex]f = (2x, -2y)

plugging into the tangent equation the point (2,1,3) for (a,b,c) and the components of the gradient gives

0 = 4(x-2) - 2(y-1)

and represented parametrically:

x = 2 + 4t, y = 1 - 2t (solution to part b)

------------------------------------

Looking again at part (a), he wants two linear equations such that their solution set is 0 = 4(x-2) - 2(y-1). I've been through the sections a few times and I haven't found any examples asking for this, and the other students in my class were struggling with this part too. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alw said:

Homework Statement

(a) Find two linear equations in the variables x,y,z such that their solution set is the tangent line to the graph of f(x,y) = [tex]x^{2}[/tex] - [tex]y^{2}[/tex] at (2,1,3) which is parallel to the x,z plane. (b) Represent the line of (a) by parametric equations.

Homework Equations

[tex]\nabla[/tex]f(x,y,z) = f([tex]f_{x}[/tex], [tex]f_{y}[/tex], [tex]f_{z}[/tex])
I'm not sure why you have the "f" in there.
[tex]\nablaf(x,y,z)= f_x \vec{i}+ f_y\vec{j}+ f_z\vec{k}[/tex]
I presume that was what you meant.

The tangent plane to the surface at a point:
0 = [tex]f_{x}[/tex](a,b,c)(x-a) + [tex]f_{y}[/tex](a,b,c)(y-b) + [tex]f_{z}[/tex](a,b,c)(z-c)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve for the plane (line in a function defined in two variables) tangent to the graph, and how to represent it parametrically, so I started with part b.

[tex]\nabla[/tex]f = (2x, -2y)

plugging into the tangent equation the point (2,1,3) for (a,b,c) and the components of the gradient gives

0 = 4(x-2) - 2(y-1)

and represented parametrically:

x = 2 + 4t, y = 1 - 2t (solution to part b)
Remember that you are working in 3 dimensions, not 2. The gradient of
[itex]f(x,y,z)= x^2- y^2[/itex] is [itex]2x\vec{i}- 2y\vec{j}+ 0\vec{k}[/itex]
At (2, 1, 3) that is [itex]4\vec{i}- 2\vec{k}[/itex]. Since the gradient is perpendicular to the tangent plane, any tangent vector must be perpendicular to that. Such vector would be [itex]4\vec{i}+ 2\vec{j}+ z\vec{k}[/itex] where z can be any value (obviously, the dot product of that with [itex]4\vec{i}- 2\vec{3}[/itex] is 0 for any z. Because the problem says also "parallel to the x,z plane", z= 0. The tangent vector for the line referred to is [itex]4\vec{i}+ 2\vec{j}[/itex] and so the line is given by the parametric equations x= 4t+ 2, y= 2t+ 1, z= 3. Of course,that line is the intersectio of two planes. The equations asked for are the equations of those two planes (which will involve x, y, and z. There are, of course, many such planes and many solutions to this problem.
------------------------------------

Looking again at part (a), he wants two linear equations such that their solution set is 0 = 4(x-2) - 2(y-1). I've been through the sections a few times and I haven't found any examples asking for this, and the other students in my class were struggling with this part too. Any ideas?

1. What is a gradient?

A gradient is a mathematical concept that represents the directional change of a function at a given point. It is a vector that points in the direction of the greatest rate of change of the function. In other words, it shows the direction in which a function is increasing or decreasing the fastest.

2. How is a gradient calculated?

A gradient is calculated using partial derivatives. First, the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable are calculated. Then, these partial derivatives are combined to form a vector, which is the gradient. The magnitude of the gradient represents the rate of change, and the direction of the gradient represents the direction of the greatest change.

3. What is the difference between a gradient and a directional derivative?

A gradient is a vector that represents the overall change of a function in a specific direction. A directional derivative, on the other hand, is a scalar value that represents the rate of change of a function in a specific direction. In other words, the gradient gives the direction of the greatest change, while the directional derivative gives the magnitude of that change.

4. How are gradients and directional derivatives used in real-world applications?

Gradients and directional derivatives are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are particularly useful in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the maximum or minimum value of a function. They are also used in image processing and computer graphics to determine the direction of light and shadows.

5. Can gradients and directional derivatives be negative?

Yes, gradients and directional derivatives can be negative. A negative gradient indicates that the function is decreasing in that direction, while a negative directional derivative indicates that the function is decreasing at a faster rate in that direction. It is important to consider the sign of gradients and directional derivatives when interpreting their meaning in a particular context.