Evaluating Integral with Partial Fractions: x^2-x/(x^2-1)^2

In summary: Thanks for the help!In summary, the integral of x^2-x/(x^2-1)^2 from 0 to 1. is not integratable using partial fractions. However, by solving for A, B, and C first, and then multiplying by x+1, the integral becomes integratable.
soccergal13
Evaluate the integral of x^2-x/(x^2-1)^2 from 0 to 1.

* I know that I have to use partial fractions in order to make the integral integratable.

My attempt at partial fractions:

A/(x-1) + (B/(x+1)) + (Cx+D/(x^2-1)^2)

Is this setup right? (Once I have it set up correctly, I know how to actually use the partial fractions in evaluating the integral). I wasn't sure because you can factor the bottom of the original function out to (x-1)(x-1)(x+1)(x+1), and thus A/(x-1) + B/(x-1) + C/(x+1) + D/(x+1) but I don't remember ever encountering a problem that needed to be divided into 4 partial fractions...

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
No. (x2-1)2 factors as (x-1)2(x+1). However, the numeator also can be factored as x(x-1) so, for all x except x= 1, you have x/[(x-1)(x+1)2. Because of the (x-1) you will need both A/(x-1). Because of the (x+1)2 you will need both B/(x+1) and C/(x+1)2.
[tex]\frac{x^2- x}{(x^2-1)^2}= \frac{x}{(x-1)(x+1)2}= \frac{A}{x-1}+ \frac{B}{x-1}+ \frac{C}{(x-1)^2}[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
No. (x2-1)2 factors as (x-1)2(x+1). However, the numeator also can be factored as x(x-1) so, for all x except x= 1, you have x/[(x-1)(x+1)2. Because of the (x-1) you will need both A/(x-1). Because of the (x+1)2 you will need both B/(x+1) and C/(x+1)2.
[tex]\frac{x^2- x}{(x^2-1)^2}= \frac{x}{(x-1)(x+1)2}= \frac{A}{x-1}+ \frac{B}{x-1}+ \frac{C}{(x-1)^2}[/tex]

You mean, [tex]\frac{x^2- x}{(x^2-1)^2}= \frac{x}{(x-1)(x+1)2}= \frac{A}{x-1}+ \frac{B}{x+1}+ \frac{C}{(x+1)^2}[/tex]

Yeah - there was a problem with that LaTeX expression. It was supposed to have been fixed but for some reason the correction didn't take.

Thank you very much, that makes a lot more sense, but shouldn't it be Cx+D over the
(x^2+1)^2?

Also, when integrating each partial fraction from 0 to 1 (which is the second part of the problem), what do you do with the A/(1-x), because its going to be some number times the ln(1-x), which will equal negative infinty when you plug one in...?

soccergal13 said:
Thank you very much, that makes a lot more sense, but shouldn't it be Cx+D over the
(x^2+1)^2?

Also, when integrating each partial fraction from 0 to 1 (which is the second part of the problem), what do you do with the A/(1-x), because its going to be some number times the ln(1-x), which will equal negative infinty when you plug one in...?

why don't you solve the problem without the limits first then plug in the limits and if you still see something wrong show us the where you have problems. make sure you use the ln properties to your advantage.

solving for A, B & C I found, in order, 1/4, -1/4 & 1/2
(by multiplying each partial fraction by the whole quantity (x+1)^2(x-1)) and then making equations with the A, B, & C's.)
****The question remains of-- did I need to have Cx +D over the (x^2+1)^2 because since the bottom is a quadratic, the top needs to be a linear function?
****Going with the 1/4, -1/4, and 1/2, I now have (.25)/(x-1) + (-.25)/(x+1)+ (.5)/(x+1)^2. Integrating gives you .25ln(x-1) - (.25ln(x+1)) + (.5(whatever the antiderrivative of 1/(x+1)^2 is)) (which I'm also confused about). Clearly, once I plug the limits in, .25ln(1-1)= .25ln(0) which = negative infinity. help!

you integrated the last term wrong, its not ln. its integral of (x+1)^-2dx

okay that i understand but that doesn't solve the problem of negative inifinty! lol. gah. sorry, I'm just getting really, really frustrated with this problem. and also if i needed the Cx+D on top... i do really appreciate your help :-), you have no idea!

soccergal13 said:
and also if i needed the Cx+D on top...

no because underneath the (x+1) is not an irreducible quadratic factor

Here is one that is irreducible x^2+1 try to factor it

I don't know what to say... I agree, the limit of 1 messes it up. maybe the person that made up the problem made a mistake?:confused:

Well it diverges over the integral of integration, so really this is an improper integral. They probably wanted the Cauchy Principal value or were just incorrect.

1. What is the purpose of evaluating integrals with partial fractions?

The purpose of evaluating integrals with partial fractions is to break down complex fractions into simpler fractions, making it easier to integrate and find the anti-derivative. This method is especially useful for integrating rational functions with polynomials in the denominator.

2. How do you determine the partial fractions for a given integral?

To determine the partial fractions, the denominator of the fraction must first be factored completely. Then, the fractions are broken down into simpler fractions with each factor in the denominator. The coefficients in the numerator are found by equating the original fraction with the sum of the partial fractions.

3. What is the general form of partial fractions used for integration?

The general form of partial fractions used for integration is A/(x-a) + B/(x-b) + C/(x-c) + ... , where A, B, C, etc. are constants and a, b, c, etc. are the factors of the denominator.

4. Can partial fractions be used for improper integrals?

Yes, partial fractions can be used for improper integrals as long as the integrand is a rational function. However, if the integral is divergent, the partial fraction decomposition may not exist.

5. Are there any special cases when evaluating integrals with partial fractions?

Yes, there are a few special cases when evaluating integrals with partial fractions. These include repeated factors in the denominator, complex roots, and quadratic factors. These cases require additional steps in the decomposition process.