Soldering tap points onto a coil

In summary: Currently, he is using a soldering iron to melt the insulation and solder short pieces of wire, but is looking for a cleaner and safer method. Suggestions from others include using sandpaper or an Xacto knife to remove the insulation and expose the copper for soldering.
Jdo300
Hello All,

I'm making a long coil for some experiments and I want to put some tap points onto the coil without actually cutting the wire. I was wondering if anyone knows of a simple way to do it?

The coil is made out of insulated 22 gauge wire (regular not mag wire) wrapped on a core that is 1.5 inches in diameter and about 10 inches long. Currently, I have been using my soldering iron to melt the insulation and then solder short pieces of wire to it but it's messy and I'm sure that the fumes from the insulation are not all that good for you (I do have a fan near by). How would you all do this?

Thanks,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try to use a sandpaper to scrape off the insulation.

waht said:
Try to use a sandpaper to scrape off the insulation.

Another common technique is to use an Xacto knife to scrape off a bit of the insulation. You can also use the knife to make two partial-circumferential cuts on the insulation a couple mm apart, then slit along the wire between those two cuts and peel back to expose some copper to solder to.

Ahhh makes sense. Thank you both for the suggestions!

- Jason O

1. What is soldering?

Soldering is a process of joining two metal surfaces together by melting a filler metal, known as solder, and using it to create a bond between the metals.

2. What are tap points?

Tap points are connection points on a coil that allow for the attachment of additional wires or components. They are typically small metal tabs or pins that are attached to the coil's winding.

3. Why do we need to solder tap points onto a coil?

Soldering tap points onto a coil allows for a more secure and reliable connection between the coil and any additional components. It also helps to prevent loose or disconnected wires, which can cause malfunctioning or inefficiency in the coil's performance.

4. What type of solder is best for soldering tap points onto a coil?

The best type of solder for this task is a rosin-core solder with a diameter of 0.032 inches. This type of solder is commonly used for electronic and electrical applications and has a low melting point, making it suitable for delicate components like tap points.

5. What are some tips for successful soldering of tap points onto a coil?

Some tips for successful soldering include using a clean and well-heated soldering iron, ensuring that the tap points and wires are clean and free of any debris or oxidation, and using the correct amount of solder to create a strong bond without excessive buildup. It is also important to hold the soldering iron steady and avoid excess movement to prevent damage to the delicate tap points.