Relationship between Angular and Tangential Velocities in Rotating Gears

In summary, the relationship between the velocity of two circles, or gears, connected by a belt is that their tangential velocity will be the same due to the constant speed of the belt. This also applies to gears without a belt, where the wheels rotate in opposite directions. This information was not readily available in the textbooks, but has been confirmed by experts in the field.
AussieDave
Hello. I have what I hope to be a simple question. It's something that I've come across in several problems in my engineering and physics subjects and I'm not sure exactly what relationship applies. My textbook doesn't seem to be very helpful in the matter.

When there are two circles, I suppose you could call them gears, of different sizes with a belt wrapped around them, what is the relationship between their velocity? I'm talking about both their angular and tangential velocities.

I know that in a rotating disc the angular velocity will be the same at each point on the disk but the tangetial velocity will change as you change your radius from the centre of the disk.

I have a feeling that either the tangential or angular velocity will be the same for these two disks attached by the belt with 1 of them being turned by a motor and, in turn, turning the other.

This isn't a homework problem but I've attached a simple example diagram with simple numbers to illustrate my question. Here it is the smaller disk being turned by the motor at a given angular velocity and I'd like to know what I can therefore infer about the larger disk.

Thank you kindly in advance for your help,

David.

Attachments

• pulley help.JPG
    pulley help.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 399
Physics news on Phys.org
Find a relationship between the arc lengths.

AussieDave said:
I have a feeling that either the tangential or angular velocity will be the same for these two disks attached by the belt with 1 of them being turned by a motor and, in turn, turning the other.

You are psychic! :smile:

Think of the linear speed of the belt, if there is no slipping. After all, that's the only thing which connects the two gears.

AussieDave said:
I know that in a rotating disc the angular velocity will be the same at each point on the disk but the tangetial velocity will change as you change your radius from the centre of the disk.

Hi David! :smile:

A straight answer:

Yes, it's the tangential velocity.

This is because the speed of the belt is the same all the way along the belt. So its speed on one wheel is the same as its speed on the other wheel.

Which is just the tangential velocity! :smile:

(btw, it's the same with gears, ie the wheels touching and with no belt - the tangential velocity is the same - except of course that the wheels rotate in opposite directions instead of the same direction.)

Thank you everyone for your response. My thought was tangential velocity for the very reason you just posted. I was just struggling to find a straight answer in several textbooks. My engineering one has lots of great, tricky questions with nice diagrams but it barely provides any actual theory behind them. The answers also aren't very helpful but I'm getting the instructor's manual.

I was then going to ask the question about the gears but you've solved that too so thank you very much!

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that rotate around a fixed axis. It involves the application of Newton's laws of motion to objects that have both linear and angular motion.

2. What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove along its circumference, and a rope or belt that runs along the groove. It is used to change the direction of a force, and can also be used to multiply or reduce the force applied.

3. How does a pulley affect rotational dynamics?

A pulley can change the direction of a force, which in turn affects the torque and angular acceleration of an object. It can also change the ratio of the input and output forces, which can affect the mechanical advantage and efficiency of a system.

4. What types of pulleys are there?

There are three main types of pulleys: fixed, movable, and compound. Fixed pulleys have a fixed axis and do not move, while movable pulleys have a movable axis and can change the direction of the force. Compound pulleys are a combination of fixed and movable pulleys and can provide a greater mechanical advantage.

5. What are some real-world applications of rotational dynamics and pulleys?

Rotational dynamics and pulleys are used in a wide range of applications, such as cranes, elevators, and bicycles. They are also used in machinery and tools, such as drills and engines, and in sports equipment like pulley systems in rock climbing and sailing.