AC nodal analysis with a HP 50g, help needed

In summary, the user is trying to solve simultaneous equations with unknowns, and is having trouble with the symbols for the angles. He has tried entering the equations in different ways, but is having trouble getting them to work. He has also tried entering the equations as a matrix, but is having trouble getting it to work in that form. He has been told that he should use the matrix capability of the HP50, and has been given instructions on how to do so.
trinidad2099
I've got a small issue at hand right now.

I need to solve simultaneous equations with unknowns in order to do mesh and nodal analysis problems. The issue is, i can't figure out how to enter the equations into get an answer out. My previous calculator was a t183+, so I'm not that well acquainted with the 50g or HP calculators in general.

I read https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=190871" thread, but can't seem to wrap my head around it.

The set of equations I'm trying to solve is

V1(2.5∠-29.9)-V2(0.5∠0)=24∠0
V1(0.5∠0)-V2(0.539∠21.80)=4∠0

solving for V1 and V2.

I'm using RPN mode as mentioned in another thread i found, and for the ∠ symbol I'm using the alpha+Rshift+6 insertion.

So far I've tried entering the following without success.

['X(2.5∠-2.29)-Y(0.5∠0.)=(2.5∠-2.29)']
['X(0.5∠-2.29)-Y(0.539∠21.80)=(4.∠0.)']
{X Y}

I keep getting "invalid syntax" on the angle symbols when entering the equations, yet when entered as just (2.5∠-29.9) on the stack, they auto-convert to rectangular form.

I've also tried with the rectangular equivelents like so.

['X(2.5,-0.099)-Y(0.5,0.)=(2.5,0.099)'] ENTER
['X(0.499∠-1.99)-Y(0.5,0.2)=(4.,0.)'] ENTER
{X Y} ENTER

That enters in properly and displays on the stack, but when i use Rshift+NUM.SLV MSLV i get "Bad Argument Type"

Please let me know what I'm doing wrong, and feel free to ask for any other information or screenshots if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Don't use MSLV or other solvers to solve this type of problem; use the matrix arithmetic capability of the HP50.

Put on level 2 of the stack:

[[ 24 ]
[ 4 ]]

and on level 1(in polar and degrees mode); read the manual for info on how to enter matrices:

[[ (2.5∠-29.9) (0.5∠180) ]
[ (0.5∠0) (0.539∠-158.2) ]]

Then press the divide key and see (in polar and degrees mode):

[[ (10.089∠35.570) ]
[ (5.448∠66.182) ]]

or in rectangular and degrees mode:

[[ (8.207,5.869) ]
[ (2.200,4.984) ]]

On the HP50 you won't see the double square brackets I've used here for a matrix; it will look more like standard matrix notation.

Thanks! Didn't know that that was possible.

1. What is AC nodal analysis?

AC nodal analysis is a method used in circuit analysis to solve for the voltages and currents at different nodes in a circuit. It involves creating a system of equations based on Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and solving for the unknown variables using techniques such as matrix equations.

2. How is AC nodal analysis performed with a HP 50g calculator?

The HP 50g calculator has built-in functions and programs specifically designed for AC nodal analysis. These functions allow you to enter the circuit parameters and equations, and then solve for the unknown variables using the calculator's built-in solver. You can also use the calculator to perform manual calculations and verify your results.

3. What are the advantages of using a HP 50g for AC nodal analysis?

The HP 50g calculator has a powerful processor and advanced programming capabilities, making it a convenient and efficient tool for performing complex calculations such as AC nodal analysis. It also has a user-friendly interface and a large display, making it easy to input and view circuit parameters and results.

4. Are there any limitations to using a HP 50g for AC nodal analysis?

While the HP 50g calculator is a powerful tool for AC nodal analysis, it does have limitations. It may not be suitable for very large or complex circuits, as it has a limited number of variables and equations it can handle. Additionally, it is important to have a good understanding of circuit analysis principles and the calculator's functions in order to use it effectively.

5. Are there any resources available to help with using a HP 50g for AC nodal analysis?

Yes, there are many online tutorials, user guides, and forums available that can help you learn how to use a HP 50g for AC nodal analysis. Additionally, the calculator's manual and user guide contain information on its functions and capabilities. You can also consult a professional or experienced user for assistance if needed.