Naked Singularities: Questions on Fund. Particles as Black Holes

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of fundamental particles being micro black holes and the implications of this theory. The first question is about the effects of naked singularities and whether they can occur within a ring singularity. The second question considers the possibility of a rotating black hole exceeding its mass limit and the role of centrifugal force in this. The third question asks about research on viewing fundamental particles as micro black holes. Lastly, there is a mention of the stability of rotating black holes and its conflict with general relativity. Further research is needed to fully understand these concepts.
michael879
I have a few questions about these. My main question concerns the "theory" that all fundamental particles are actually black holes. If this were the case, at least for an electron, they would be naked singularities because q+a > m.

1) What are the effects of a naked singularity that make people assume its physically impossible? i.e. I know about closed time loops, but at what range do they occur? Is it only inside of a ring singularity?

2) I understand qualitatively why a charged black hole can not be naked, because when q>m the repulsion due to the charges is stronger than the attraction of gravity. However for a rotating black hole, is there anything qualitatively that stops it a from exceeding m? From what I understand the centrifugal force due to the rotating ring singularity decreases as a increases so this does not explain it.

3) Is there any serious research going into viewing fundamental particles as micro (sub-planck really) black holes? Its a really interesting theory and I am wondering if anyone actually views it as a possibility.

4) On the wikipedia page for micro black hole electrons, they mention that rotating black holes with certain angular momentum will not have hawking radiation. Is this true? Does anyone know the temperature equation for a rotating, charged black hole?

Physics news on Phys.org
so as far as 2) is concerned I think I found an answer. One way to explain charged or spinning black holes having a limit in charge or angular momentum is to find when the gravitational force is exceeded by some repulsive force. This explanation is obvious for the charged black hole, and less so for the rotating one. I think I did find the answer though.

dF_g = G * dM * M / (2*a^2) (force of gravity)
dF_c = dM * c^2 / a (centrifugal force)

I found that the ring singularity will become unstable if a > 1/2 * GM/c^2. The factor of 1/2 conflicts with GR, so either this classical approach simply doesn't work or I screwed up somewhere in my calculations.

1) The main concern with naked singularities is that they violate the laws of physics as we currently understand them. According to general relativity, singularities are points of infinite density and curvature, and the laws of physics break down at these points. This means that our current theories cannot accurately predict or describe the behavior of a naked singularity, making it a problematic concept in physics.

2) The rotation of a black hole does not necessarily prevent it from becoming a naked singularity. In fact, it is possible for a rotating black hole to have a naked singularity at its center. The issue with a rotating black hole becoming a naked singularity is not related to the centrifugal force, but rather to the mass and charge of the black hole. If the mass and charge are such that the singularity is not hidden behind an event horizon, then it would be considered a naked singularity.

3) There is some research being done on the possibility of fundamental particles being micro black holes, but it is still a highly speculative and debated topic. While it is an interesting theory, there is currently not enough evidence to support it as a possibility. More research and evidence is needed before it can be considered a serious contender in our understanding of fundamental particles.

4) The temperature of a rotating, charged black hole is given by the Kerr-Newman metric, which takes into account the angular momentum and charge of the black hole. It is true that certain combinations of angular momentum and charge can result in a black hole that does not emit Hawking radiation. However, this is still a theoretical concept and has not been observed or confirmed in any experiments.

1. What is a naked singularity?

A naked singularity is a theoretical concept in astrophysics where a singularity, a point of infinite density, is not hidden behind an event horizon. This means that it is visible to outside observers and has the potential to emit radiation and have other observable effects.

2. How are naked singularities different from black holes?

Naked singularities and black holes are both points of infinite density, but they differ in their event horizons. A black hole has an event horizon, which is a boundary that prevents anything, including light, from escaping. A naked singularity does not have an event horizon, meaning it is visible to outside observers.

3. Can naked singularities form naturally?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that naked singularities can form naturally. The laws of physics, specifically the cosmic censorship hypothesis, suggest that naked singularities cannot form through the gravitational collapse of matter. However, some theories, such as loop quantum gravity, propose the existence of naked singularities.

4. What are the potential implications of the existence of naked singularities?

If naked singularities do exist, it would challenge our understanding of the laws of physics, particularly the theory of general relativity. It would also have implications for the behavior of matter and energy near the singularity, as well as the potential for time travel and the existence of parallel universes.

5. Can we observe naked singularities?

As of now, there is no confirmed observation of a naked singularity. However, some physicists believe that certain astronomical phenomena, such as gamma-ray bursts, could potentially be caused by the effects of a nearby naked singularity. Further research and advancements in technology may allow us to observe and study these elusive objects in the future.