Understanding Time Dilation: Exploring Special & General Relativity

In summary: Earth's gravity.An object that accelerates changes its orientation in spacetime with respect to other objects, a consequence of this is that the rate of accumulation of proper time changes from that moment on.
Tachyonie
I am trying to get through Special & General Relativity on my own. However I seem to reach a problem.

Imagine person A standing on Earth and person B flying around Earth close to speed of light (it doesn't have to be close to speed of light, I just want to make the effects of relativity obvious). Now person A ages by 50 years and person B only by couple of minutes. However what's stopping the Person B from claiming that HE is at rest and person A is moving near the speed of light and thus HE should be the one with gray hair and grand children?

I tried to research it and I found that that of course, nothing stops him from saying that, and he would be also right to state it, but I don't seem to get the reason why is that? Clearly one is young and one is old at the end of the flight but how is that possible? Shouldnt they both be young and old at the same time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tachyonie said:
I am trying to get through Special & General Relativity on my own. However I seem to reach a problem.

Imagine person A standing on Earth and person B flying around Earth close to speed of light (it doesn't have to be close to speed of light, I just want to make the effects of relativity obvious). Now person A ages by 50 years and person B only by couple of minutes. However what's stopping the Person B from claiming that HE is at rest and person A is moving near the speed of light and thus HE should be the one with gray hair and grand children?

I tried to research it and I found that that of course, nothing stops him from saying that, and he would be also right to state it, but I don't seem to get the reason why is that? Clearly one is young and one is old at the end of the flight but how is that possible? Shouldnt they both be young and old at the same time?
Since B's path included acceleration and A's path did not (ignoring A's small effect on acceleration by standing on earth) B's accumulated proper time during the trip is less than that of A.

So B cannot say that he's the one who stays at rest and A is the one moving because B had to accelerate at the beggining of his voyage?

So B cannot say that he's the one who stays at rest and A is the one moving because B had to accelerate at the beggining of his voyage?
No, because he has to accelerate to get back to the starting point.

Tachyonie said:

You said he's orbiting Earth at a speed close to c. That means he's experiencing a very high constant acceleration during his orbit.

I wanted to mention that he's not accelerating (orbiting) but traveling at straight line. Guess I should have included meh.

Answer

Hi, my disclaimer as always is that I'm no physicist, but the acceleration of the ship refers to the TURNING AROUND to return to the starting point. The crew of the ship experiences forces that throw 'em to the walls, and the forces produce acceleration (F=ma). This ain't no paradox.

-Gerrit

Tachyonie said:
I wanted to mention that he's not accelerating (orbiting) but traveling at straight line. Guess I should have included meh.
Actually if he is orbiting he is not accelerating but in free fall. But obviously he has to enter and leave orbit to meet A and for that B needs to accelerate.

michael879 said:
You said he's orbiting Earth at a speed close to c. That means he's experiencing a very high constant acceleration during his orbit.
No, if he is orbiting, then regardless of relative speed, he is in free fall and not accelerating.

How does the relative short time of acceleration change everything? Shouldnt they still be both able to say that they are the one at rest (except when turning, etc.)?

Tachyonie said:
How does the relative short time of acceleration change everything? Shouldnt they still be both able to say that they are the one at rest (except when turning, etc.)?
An objects that accelerates changes its orientation in spacetime with respect to other objects, a consequence of this is that the rate of accumulation of proper time changes from that moment on.

An object released from a height, accelerates, in free fall toward the Earth's center, until it's interrupted by the ground.
A satellite does the same thing, but with the proper horizontal velocity to avoid meeting the ground.
The satellite's direction of motion is changed by something!

phyti said:
An object released from a height, accelerates, in free fall toward the Earth's center, until it's interrupted by the ground.
No, an object relased from a hight, free falls towards the Earth's center and starts to accelerate away from it when it reaches the surface of the earth.

The reason free falling objects approach each other is not due to acceleration but is due to the curvature of spacetime.

Last edited:
Hi Tachyonie - what you describe is a version of the Twin Paradox. It's described (and solved) in detail on wikipedia: just type "twin paradox" and you'll be on your way.

Cheers mate! Thanks everybody, very helpful.

What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for objects in motion or in strong gravitational fields, as predicted by Einstein's theory of special and general relativity.

How does time dilation occur?

Time dilation occurs because the speed of light is constant in all frames of reference, meaning that the perception of time passing is relative to the observer's frame of reference and their relative motion or position.

What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the effects of motion on time and space, while general relativity includes the effects of gravity as well. Both theories were developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century and have been extensively tested and confirmed by experiments.

What are some real-life examples of time dilation?

One example of time dilation is the difference in time experienced by astronauts on the International Space Station compared to people on Earth. The astronauts experience time passing slower due to their high speed and distance from Earth's gravitational field.

Another example is the Global Positioning System (GPS), which uses satellites that experience time dilation due to their high speed and distance from Earth's surface. Without accounting for this, GPS systems would be inaccurate.

Is time travel possible with time dilation?

While time dilation allows for the possibility of time travel, it is currently only theoretical and has not been proven or observed in real life. The amount of time dilation required for significant time travel would also require extremely high speeds or strong gravitational fields, which are currently unattainable with our current technology.