Two Kerr Black Holes: Possible or Impossible?

In summary, there is a solution for two Kerr black holes, but it has not been extensively studied and does not have an equilibrium state. For further information, you can refer to the mentioned papers and sources.
michael879
Im trying to describe a system of two kerr black holes and I was wondering if this was even possible? I am currently taking a GR course but I've looked through the textbook and we only seem to deal with stationary solutions to einstein's field question (and no two-body problems).

Physics news on Phys.org
It may well be possible, but it's not been done to my knowledge. The Kerr metric is a vacuum solution, and all its properties come from the spherical symmetry. The symmetry of 2 BHs is not so obvious or helpful.

yea that's what I thought.. damn..

It is specific, but you might want to lookup the double Kerr solution.

Stephani in Exact Solutions of Einstein's Field Equations briefly mentions this in chapter 34.4.

Last edited:
For two Schwarzschild black holes, the classic solution is due to Misner. A search for "Misner Inital Data" will pull up plenty of recent papers that might give you a derivation.

For Kerr black holes, check the paper here:
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9806017

michael879 said:
Im trying to describe a system of two kerr black holes and I was wondering if this was even possible? I am currently taking a GR course but I've looked through the textbook and we only seem to deal with stationary solutions to einstein's field question (and no two-body problems).

The exact solution describing two Kerr black holes was presented in D. Kramer, G. Neugebauer, "The superposition of two Kerr solutions", Physics Letters A, 75:4, 259-261 (1980). It does not admit an equilibrium state.

1. What is a Kerr black hole?

A Kerr black hole is a theoretical type of black hole described by the Kerr metric, which is a solution to Einstein's field equations in the theory of general relativity. It is characterized by its rotating nature and a singularity at its center, known as the "ring singularity."

2. Can two Kerr black holes exist in the same spacetime?

Based on current scientific understanding, it is possible for two Kerr black holes to exist in the same spacetime. However, this is still a topic of ongoing research and there is not yet conclusive evidence for the existence of such systems.

3. How would two Kerr black holes interact with each other?

If two Kerr black holes were to exist in the same spacetime, they would interact through their gravitational fields. This interaction could result in the merging of the two black holes, leading to the formation of a larger black hole with a different Kerr parameter.

4. What are the potential implications of the existence of two Kerr black holes?

If two Kerr black holes were to exist in the same spacetime, it would provide further evidence for the theory of general relativity and would have important implications for our understanding of gravity and the behavior of black holes. It could also have implications for the study of other phenomena, such as gravitational waves.

5. Is there any evidence for the existence of two Kerr black holes?

Currently, there is no conclusive evidence for the existence of two Kerr black holes in the same spacetime. However, there have been several observations and simulations that support the possibility of such systems, and ongoing research may provide more evidence in the future.