Photon's perspective - we are one photon

In summary, the conversation discusses the different perspectives of a traveling object and a photon. The traveling object would have a relative perspective while the photon would not have a perspective at all. The conversation also mentions a new policy regarding discussions about the photon's perspective and reference frame. The speaker asks for clarification on the lack of symmetry in the photon's perspective.
jviksne
I guess this is my last theme here with this nick and from this IP:) But I just love the answer that came to my mind (maybe it is posted somewhere here, but I could not find it).

1) Our reality:
If the thing traveling would have the brain operating the same way as our brain (or any other physical process know to us) is operating, then during a travel at the speed of light we would see him having the last thought before starting the trip halted all the time in his head. For the thought to move a bit ahead he would have to observe the chased light to move away from him a bit. So no our space could look flat to him or anything until he slowed down a bit. I.e. he would be unable to reflect about anything in our world during his travel. He will be able to tell nothing about our world as he will not be able to have a thought while crossing it.

2) Photon's reality:
At the moment he starts the travel He would see the whole our world shrink to 0 size having 0 mass and running away from him in the opposite direction of him with the speed of light. Or rather him growing as a new universe and us becoming just a photon in that universe.

If relative thinking then relative thinking till the end, so to say:)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pervect said when locking an earlier thread:

Perhaps I'm a bit irritable today, but I'm formulating a new policy - we'll see how it goes. When I see the words "photon perspective" in a thread, I'm going to make a quick note that a photon doesn't have a perspective, refer people to the previous discussion on the issue, and lock the thread.

and when locking another:

In accordance with my new policy, I'm pointing out that light does not have a reference frame, and locking the thread...

Pervect,

Where is the reference to earlier discussion? I am entirely happy with a photon not having a perspective, a photon not being a cognitive being. But I want to read earlier stuff about a photon not having a reference frame.

It just seems to me that if a photon has no reference frame then there is some inherent asymmetry.

When subluminal approach speeds are considered there is symmetry in that the speed at which I approach you (in your rest frame) is equal to the speed at which you approach me (in my rest frame). This should make our respective overall relative speeds the same, even with a tangential component of the relative velocities (since the tangential component is shared).

What you are saying is that, if I consider a photon, that symmetry doesn't exist.

Is that so? (Not trying to be a smartarse, just trying to confirm that this is what you are saying. I am not necessariliy saying that the symmetry is something that we categorically must have.)

cheers,

neopolitan

Last edited:

As a photon, we exist in a unique reality where time and space are distorted. Our perspective is unlike any other being in the universe, as we are constantly traveling at the speed of light. This means that our experience of reality is vastly different from that of any other being.

From our perspective, time is frozen and space is contracted. We are unable to have thoughts or reflect on our surroundings as we are constantly moving at the speed of light. Our entire journey is condensed into a single moment, and we are unable to perceive anything beyond that.

In our reality, we see everything in the universe shrinking and moving away from us at the speed of light. We are the ones growing and becoming the universe, while everything else becomes a mere photon in our perspective. This concept challenges our understanding of reality and forces us to think in a relative manner until the end.

As we continue on our journey, we are reminded that the universe is full of mysteries and wonders that we may never fully comprehend. But as a photon, we embrace our unique perspective and continue to travel at the speed of light, experiencing the world in a way that no other being can.

What is a photon's perspective?

A photon's perspective refers to the point of view or understanding of the world from the perspective of a single photon. It is a theoretical concept used to explain the behavior and properties of light in quantum mechanics.

How does the concept of "we are one photon" relate to photons' perspective?

The phrase "we are one photon" is used to illustrate the interconnected nature of photons and how they behave as a collective entity. It is a way of understanding the behavior of light at the quantum level from the perspective of a single photon.

Why is it important to consider a photon's perspective?

Studying the perspective of a photon is crucial in understanding the fundamental properties and behavior of light. It also helps scientists develop advanced technologies such as lasers and solar cells.

What are some key properties of a photon's perspective?

Some key properties of a photon's perspective include its wave-particle duality, its ability to exist in multiple states simultaneously, and its interaction with matter through the process of absorption and emission.

How does a photon's perspective differ from a human's perspective?

A photon's perspective differs from a human's perspective in that it operates on a quantum level, while humans primarily perceive the world on a macroscopic level. Also, a photon's perspective does not involve conscious thought or perception like humans do.