How to solve the following equation ?

• Thread starter mark gazi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a nonlinear partial differential equation that can be found in the appendix. The speaker asks for any ideas or solutions for the equation, and the other person suggests separating it into different cases. The question of how to separate the equation if the solution is a complex number is also raised, and the solution is to separate it into real and imaginary parts and solve for them separately. However, it is mentioned that most nonlinear equations are difficult to solve.
mark gazi
It is a nonliear Partial differential equation . you can find it in the appendix.
If you have some good idea about this equation ,ok ,please reply to me .thanks!

Attachments

• How to solve the following equation.doc
    20 KB · Views: 302
Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing you would do, of course, is separate into "u> 0", "u< 0" cases. After that it is pretty much standard.

My question

First, thank you .but if the solution of the equation (U) is a complex number, how to separate the "u" into the two condition:(1) U>0; (2) U<0.

If u is a complex valued function, then separate it into real and imaginary parts: u(x)= p(x)+ i q(x). |u|2= p2+ q2 and you have two non-linear differential equations for p and q. They will still be rather nasty I am afraid. MOST non-linear equations can be solved in closed form.

What is an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more quantities. It usually contains variables, constants, and mathematical operations, and the goal is to find the value of the unknown variable(s).

What is the process for solving an equation?

The process for solving an equation involves isolating the variable on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. This means that you perform the opposite mathematical operation on both sides of the equation until the variable is alone on one side. The value that makes the equation true is the solution.

What are inverse operations?

Inverse operations are mathematical operations that undo each other. For example, addition and subtraction are inverse operations, as well as multiplication and division. Using inverse operations is essential when solving equations because they allow you to isolate the variable.

What is the order of operations?

The order of operations, also known as PEMDAS, is a set of rules that determine the order in which mathematical operations should be performed. It stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), and Addition and Subtraction (from left to right). Following the order of operations is crucial when solving equations to get the correct solution.

What do I do if there are variables on both sides of the equation?

If there are variables on both sides of the equation, the first step is to combine like terms on each side. Next, use inverse operations to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. Finally, solve for the variable by using the order of operations. If necessary, check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.