Solenoid length of wire problem

In summary, you need 21km of wire to create a 2.5kG magnetic field inside a 12cm diameter and 55cm long plastic tube.
kayak4life87
Hey so I have been trying this problem and just cannot get it. thanks for the help.

To construct a solenoid, you wrap insulated wire uniformly around a plastic tube 12cm in diameter and 55cm in length. You would like a 2.0A current to produce 2.5kG magnetic field inside your solenoid. What is the length of wire you will need to meet these specifications? The answer is 21km, but i cannot get this to work

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far? You are supposed to show your work first.

A hint: Can you find an expression for the magnetic field in the solenoid? What is the unknown variable in this expression, and can you use that to get the answer?

well i have used the B=uo(N/L)I n=N/L I tried solving for n and then plug that into the second equation there and solving for N. Then once you have N put that into the first equation and solve for L. However, this is not working and I don't really know another approach unless I am doing something in the wrong order. thanks.

I don't fully understand what you have done. You start of right! But I don't understand what you mean once you get to solving for N.

Use
[tex]B = \frac{\mu_0 I N}{L}[/tex]

You know B, I and L. So you can solve for N.
That gives you the total number of turns of wire.

There is one value you haven't used yet, which you need to calculate the length of the wire you need.EDIT
I just noticed, the B-field is given in Gauss. For the expression of the B-field to be correct unit-wise, you need to enter L in meters, I in amperes and [itex]\mu_0[/itex] in [itex]m \, kg \, s^{-2} A^{-2}[/itex]. This will yield the magnetic field strength B in Tesla, not Gauss! Note that 1 Gauss = 10^-4 Tesla.

Last edited:
ya i converted the 2.5kG to Tesla 1kG=1000Gauss 1Gauss=.0001 tesla

You are given B, I, uo, L=55cm, diameter=12cm, B=2.5kG=0.25T

I first used the equation B=uo(n)I and solved for n, then used n=N/L to solve for N

then once you have N I put that back into B=uo(N/L)I. But of course I am just going in circles and am confused.. sorry for the confusion.

Hi kayak4life87,

kayak4life87 said:
ya i converted the 2.5kG to Tesla 1kG=1000Gauss 1Gauss=.0001 tesla

You are given B, I, uo, L=55cm, diameter=12cm, B=2.5kG=0.25T

I first used the equation B=uo(n)I and solved for n, then used n=N/L to solve for N

then once you have N I put that back into B=uo(N/L)I. But of course I am just going in circles and am confused.. sorry for the confusion.

I think you might have misread Nick89's post. The [itex]L[/itex] in that equation is not the length you are looking for. The [itex]L[/itex] in that equation is the length of the solenoid (for example, perhaps the plastic tube that the wire is wrapped around), but the length you are looking for is the total length of the wire when it is stretched out.

aaahhh.. i got it now.. i was not even thinking when that was the length of solenoid. I found the number of turns and then used the circumference of the cylinder.. Thanks everyone for your help. thanks again.

1. What is a solenoid and what is its function in a circuit?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that is used to create a magnetic field when an electric current passes through it. It is an essential component in circuits that involve the conversion of electrical energy into mechanical motion, such as in motors and electromagnets.

2. How does the length of wire in a solenoid affect its magnetic strength?

The magnetic strength of a solenoid is directly proportional to the length of wire used. This means that the longer the wire, the stronger the magnetic field it can produce. This is because a longer wire allows for more coils and thus more current flow, resulting in a stronger magnetic field.

3. What is the relationship between the length of wire and the resistance of a solenoid?

The length of wire in a solenoid is directly proportional to its resistance. This means that a longer wire will have a higher resistance compared to a shorter wire. This is because the longer the wire, the more atoms the current has to pass through, resulting in more collisions and a higher resistance.

4. How do you calculate the length of wire needed to create a specific magnetic field strength in a solenoid?

The length of wire needed to produce a specific magnetic field strength in a solenoid can be calculated using the formula L = μ0 * N * I * A / B, where L is the length of wire, μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the solenoid, I is the current flowing through the wire, A is the cross-sectional area of the solenoid, and B is the desired magnetic field strength.

5. What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of the length of wire in a solenoid?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of the length of wire in a solenoid include the type of wire used, the temperature of the wire, and the presence of any other magnetic fields nearby. Additionally, any defects or inconsistencies in the wire itself can also affect the accuracy of the calculated length.