Why is my CD drive unable to read certain discs?

• Thread starter daniel_i_l
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drive
In summary, the person experienced an error when trying to open a CD on their CD/DVD-RW drive. After doing some research, they found a solution by enabling recording on the drive but now they are unable to see the contents of the CD. They suspect that uninstalling a program may have caused the issue and are looking for a fix. They also mention trying an external CD drive to troubleshoot the problem.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
Hi, today I tried to open a cd with my cd/dvd - rw drive and I got the error:
"Access denied - incorrect function"
I know it's not a hardware problem because I can read and write to dvd's and cd's that I burn with my computer - I only have a problem with cd's burned on a different computer (using nero 8 by the way).
After looking around the web I found that it might help if I right-click on the D drive (the cd/dvd drive) and go to properties->recording and check "enable recording on this drive".
I did that and now I don't get the error but windows explorer tells me the disk is empty!
I tried to think of any changed I made to the computer before this happened and remembered that I'd cleaned out some old programs including "express burn". Could that have caused the problem? If so, how can I fix it? What else could be causing this?
(the computer is a R50e ibm laptop running windows xp)
Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
My cd drive sometimes can't read DVD that burn from the downloaded movie. Try the external cd drive and test that cd, if error still appears, it means there's something wrong with the cd. If not, obviously it's your driver.

There could be multiple reasons why your CD drive is unable to read certain discs. One possibility is that the discs you are trying to read are damaged or scratched, which can interfere with the reading process. Another possibility is that the discs were burned incorrectly or with incompatible software, which can result in the CD drive being unable to read them.

It is also possible that there is an issue with the settings on your CD drive. Enabling recording on the drive may have resolved the initial error, but it could also be causing conflicts with the files on the disc. Additionally, removing the program "express burn" may have altered some settings on your computer that are now affecting the CD drive.

To troubleshoot this issue, I would suggest trying to read the discs on a different computer to see if they are recognized. If they are, then the issue likely lies with the settings on your CD drive or computer. You could also try cleaning the discs or using a disc repair kit to see if that helps.

If the discs are still not readable, it may be necessary to update the drivers for your CD drive or try using a different burning software to create the discs. It is also possible that there could be a hardware issue with the CD drive itself, in which case it may need to be replaced.

In conclusion, there are several potential causes for why your CD drive is unable to read certain discs. It is important to troubleshoot and eliminate each possibility in order to determine the root cause and find a solution.

1. Why is my computer unable to read a CD drive?

There are several possible reasons for this issue, including a dirty or damaged CD, a faulty CD drive, outdated drivers, or a software conflict. It is best to troubleshoot each of these potential causes to determine the exact issue.

2. How can I clean a CD that my computer is unable to read?

You can clean a CD by gently wiping it with a soft, lint-free cloth. Avoid using abrasive materials, as this can cause further damage. If the CD is heavily scratched or damaged, it may not be able to be read by the computer.

3. What should I do if my CD drive is making unusual noises or not responding?

If your CD drive is making unusual noises or not responding, it could be a sign of a hardware issue. Try restarting your computer and checking for any software updates. If the problem persists, it may be necessary to replace the CD drive.

4. Can a virus cause my computer to be unable to read a CD drive?

While it is possible for a virus to cause issues with your CD drive, it is not a common occurrence. It is more likely that the issue is caused by a hardware or software problem. It is always a good idea to have a reliable antivirus program installed on your computer to prevent any potential issues.

5. How can I update my CD drive drivers?

To update your CD drive drivers, you can go to the device manager on your computer and select the CD drive. From there, you can choose to update the drivers automatically or manually by downloading the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website.