Disk and Shell Method (Ignore my other thread)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of solid generated by revolving around a given line or axis. The first question involves using the shell method to find the volume of a solid generated by revolving a region bounded by two curves around the y-axis. The second question involves using the disk method to find the volume of a solid generated by revolving a region bounded by two curves around the x-axis. The third question involves setting up integrals for finding the volume of a solid generated by revolving a region bounded by four curves around the x-axis, using both the method of cylindrical shells and circular disks.
myanmar
Reducing it to three questions, because I'm pretty confident on the others.
9. Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving about the line x = -1, the region bounded by the curves y = -x^2 + 4x - 3 and y = 0.
---
I graphed everything, and then translated the graph 1 to the right making it y=-(x-1)^2+4(x-1)-3 and y=0 rotated around the y-axis because this is easier for me.

So then, I should be able to do this with the shell method, and get [tex]\int_2^4 2x \pi (-(x-1)^2+4(x-1)-3)\,dx[/tex]

I don't think I'm right because this is negative
---

10. Consider the region in the xy-plane between x = 0 and x=pi/2 bounded by y = 0 and y = sin x. Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving this region about the x-axis.
stuck here too

Honestly, I just am posting this because my answer seems to simple
[tex]\int_0^\pi/2 sin^2x\,dx [/tex]

11. Let R be the region bounded by y = 1/x, y = x^2, x = 0, and y = 2. Suppose R is revolved around the x-axis. Set up but do not evaluate the integrals for the volume of rotation using: a) the method of cylindrical shells; b) the method of circular disks.
Honestly don't know where to start

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
myanmar said:
So then, I should be able to do this with the shell method, and get [tex]\int_2^4 2x \pi (-(x-1)^2+4(x-1)-3)\,dx[/tex]

I don't think I'm right because this is negative
---
10. …Honestly, I just am posting this because my answer seems to simple
[tex]\int_0^\pi/2 sin^2x\,dx [/tex]

11. … Honestly don't know where to start

Hi myanmar! :smile:

9. No, it is positive … for example, if x = 3, the bracket is -4 + 8 - 3 = 1. :smile:

10. I assume you mean [tex]\int_0^{\pi/2} \pi sin^2x\,dx [/tex] ?

Yes, that's fine! :smile:

11. Don't know how to help you on this … you just have to draw the diagram carefully, and decide what the endpoints are of each slice.

1. What is the Disk and Shell Method?

The Disk and Shell Method is a mathematical technique used to find the volume of a solid of revolution, which is formed by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. It involves using infinitesimal disks or cylindrical shells to approximate the volume of the solid.

2. When is the Disk and Shell Method used?

The Disk and Shell Method is typically used in calculus to solve problems involving volumes of solids with circular or cylindrical cross-sections. It is also commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate moments of inertia and gravitational forces.

3. How does the Disk and Shell Method work?

The method involves breaking down the solid of revolution into infinitesimal disks or cylindrical shells, calculating the volume of each element, and then adding the volumes together to get an approximation of the total volume of the solid. This is done using integration, where the radius or height of the disks or shells is represented by a variable in the integral.

4. What are the advantages of using the Disk and Shell Method?

The Disk and Shell Method is often preferred over other methods (such as the Washer Method) because it is simpler to visualize and set up. It also allows for easier integration, as the radius or height of the disks or shells can often be easily expressed as a function of the variable of integration.

5. Can the Disk and Shell Method be used for any solid of revolution?

Yes, the Disk and Shell Method can be used for any solid of revolution with a circular or cylindrical cross-section. This includes shapes such as spheres, cones, cylinders, and toroids. It can also be used for more complex shapes by breaking them down into smaller, simpler components and using the method on each component separately.