Interstellar TV: Calculating Detection Range

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for calculating the detection range in lightyears for interstellar TV, which involves parameters such as EIRP, twc, SNR, A_{e}_{r}, B_{r}, k_{B}, and T_{sys}. The individual puts in specific values for these parameters and gets a resulting detection range of 0.000093 lightyears. The conversation also includes questions about the accuracy of the equation, how to reduce SNR and system temperature, and whether reducing the temperature can increase the detection range.
Urvabara
I am just "trying" to watch interstellar TV...

The detection range in lightyears is
[tex]R = \sqrt{\frac{\text{EIRP}\cdot A_{e}_{r}\cdot\text{twc}}{4\pi\cdot\text{SNR}\cdot B_{r}\cdot k_{B}\cdot T_{sys}}}\cdot\frac{1\,\text{ly}}{9454254955488000\,\text{m}}[/tex], where
[tex]\text{EIRP} = P_{t}G_{t},[/tex]
[tex]\text{twc} = \sqrt{B_{r}t} = 1\,\text{for modulated signals,}[/tex]
[tex]\text{SNR}[/tex] is signal-to-noise ratio,
[tex]A_{e}_{r}[/tex] is receiver's radio telescope's effective area,
[tex]B_{r}[/tex] is receiver's bandwidth which is larger or equal to transmitters bandwidth,
[tex]k_{B}[/tex] is Boltzmann's constant and
[tex]T_{sys}[/tex] is system's temperature in Kelvins.

I put these numbers in:
[tex]\text{EIRP} = 15000\,\text{W}[/tex],
[tex]A_{e}_{r} = 15707963\,\text{m}^{2}[/tex],
[tex]\text{twc} = 1[/tex],
[tex]\text{SNR} = 22[/tex],
[tex]B_{r} = 8\cdot 10^{6}\,\text{Hz}[/tex],
[tex]k_{b} = 1.3806504\cdot 10^{-23}\,\text{J/K}[/tex], and
[tex]T_{sys} = 10\,\text{K}[/tex].
I get: [tex]R = 0.000093\,\text{ly}.[/tex]

Questions:
1. Is the equation correct?
2. Is my answer about correct?
3. How to reduce the SNR?
4. How to reduce the system temperature?
5. Can I really rise the detection range just only reducing the system temperature? So technically I can watch interstellar TV shows with a very, very small disc, if I can go to very near the absolute zero?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Guys? Anyone?

PS.
[tex]P_{t}[/tex] is transmitter's power.
[tex]G_{t}[/tex] is transmitter's antenna gain.

1. The equation appears to be correct, but it is always important to double check and make sure all units are consistent.
2. Your answer appears to be correct based on the numbers you provided.
3. To reduce the SNR, you could try using a higher gain antenna or increasing the transmitter power, which would increase the EIRP.
4. To reduce the system temperature, you could try using better insulation or cooling techniques for the receiver.
5. Yes, reducing the system temperature can increase the detection range, but it is not the only factor. Other factors such as transmitter power and antenna gain also play a role. And while technically you could watch interstellar TV with a very low system temperature, it is not practical or feasible to reach absolute zero in real-world scenarios.

1. How does Interstellar TV work?

Interstellar TV is a form of communication that uses advanced technology to transmit and receive signals between different planets or star systems. It works by using a combination of radio and laser signals to send information across vast distances in space.

2. What is the purpose of calculating detection range in Interstellar TV?

Calculating detection range allows us to determine the maximum distance at which a signal can be detected and received by a specific receiver. This is crucial for the successful transmission and reception of Interstellar TV signals between different planets or star systems.

3. How is detection range calculated in Interstellar TV?

Detection range is calculated using a formula that takes into account factors such as the power of the transmitter, the sensitivity of the receiver, and the background noise in the signal. This formula is constantly evolving as technology advances and our understanding of space communication improves.

4. What factors can affect the detection range of Interstellar TV signals?

The detection range of Interstellar TV signals can be affected by various factors such as the strength of the transmitter, the sensitivity of the receiver, the distance between the transmitter and receiver, and the presence of any obstacles or interference in the signal's path.

5. How far can Interstellar TV signals travel?

The distance that Interstellar TV signals can travel depends on the technology and resources used in the transmission and reception process. With current technology, signals can potentially travel thousands or even millions of light-years, allowing for communication between distant planets and civilizations.