Finding the B-field at a point outside ring of current IN Plane of ring

In summary, the task is to determine the B field at point P, located at a distance d from the center of a current ring with radius r, but within the plane of the ring. This can be achieved using the Biot-Savart law, which involves an integral from 0 to 2pi. The angle x will vary at all points along the ring, as will r. To solve the problem, the angle between the tangent at a point on the ring and the vector connecting that point to P must be determined.
maxmax1

Homework Statement

Determine the B field at a point P with distance d from centre of current ring radius r (d>r ie outside ring of current) but IN the Plane of ring (i.e off the axis)

Homework Equations

Biot savart: db=(u.I/4pi.r^2).dl.sinx

u=mu, I=current, x=angle made with current vector element dl and vector r connecting P to dl.

The Attempt at a Solution

the angle x will vary at all points along ring with vector joining point P, as will r.

I will integrate from 0 to 2pi my expression for db but with r^2=a^2+d^2-2adcosy

where y is angle between radial vector and d.

I am stuck because cannot determine how to express y in terms of x. and thus cannot integrate!

many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
maxmax1 said:
I am stuck because cannot determine how to express y in terms of x. and thus cannot integrate!

Hi maxmax1! :smile:

Hint: P is at (d,0).

The tangent at Q = (r cosy, r siny) is … ?

So the angle betweent he tangent and PQ is … ? :smile:

Your approach to using the Biot-Savart law to find the B-field at a point outside the ring of current in the plane of the ring is correct. However, you are correct in noting that the angle y between the radial vector and d will vary at different points along the ring, making it difficult to integrate. In this case, it may be helpful to use vector calculus to solve for the B-field.

One approach could be to define a vector function for the current element dl and the vector r connecting P to dl, and then use the cross product of these two vectors to find the direction of the B-field at point P. From there, you can integrate over the entire ring to find the total B-field at point P.

Another approach could be to use the concept of symmetry and break the ring into smaller elements that are easier to integrate. For example, you could consider dividing the ring into quarters and integrating over each quarter separately, taking into account the different angles and distances at each point.

Overall, finding the B-field at a point outside the ring of current in the plane of the ring can be a complex problem, but with careful consideration and the use of vector calculus, it is possible to find a solution.

1. What is the formula for finding the B-field at a point outside a ring of current?

The formula for finding the B-field at a point outside a ring of current is B = μ0I/(2a) * (z/(z^2 + a^2)^1.5), where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, a is the radius of the ring, and z is the distance from the center of the ring to the point of interest.

2. How does the direction of the current affect the B-field at a point outside the ring?

The direction of the current does not affect the magnitude of the B-field, but it does affect the direction. The B-field will be in the same direction as the current if the current is flowing clockwise in the ring and in the opposite direction if the current is flowing counterclockwise.

3. Can the B-field at a point outside the ring ever be zero?

Yes, the B-field at a point outside the ring can be zero if the point of interest is on the axis of the ring, meaning z = 0. In this case, the formula becomes B = μ0I/(2a) and since z = 0, the B-field will be zero.

4. How does the distance from the ring affect the B-field at a point outside the ring?

The B-field at a point outside the ring decreases as the distance from the ring increases. This is because the formula for the B-field contains a term (z/(z^2 + a^2)^1.5) that becomes smaller as z increases.

5. What is the SI unit for the B-field at a point outside the ring?

The SI unit for the B-field at a point outside the ring is Tesla (T). However, it is more commonly measured in microtesla (μT) or millitesla (mT) for smaller values.