TI 89 or HP 50g (for programming and more)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the decision to choose between a TI-89 and an HP 50g calculator for C programming and use in exams for electrical engineering. The HP 50g is noted for its faster processor speed and expandable memory, but it is also cheaper than the TI-89. However, the TI-89 has a larger community and more programs and games, including a GB emulator which runs slowly. The conversation also touches on the benefits of RPN and the superiority of HP calculators in the industry. Helpful resources for programming and using the HP 50g are also mentioned.
oroboro
I know the general answer to the question, but I want to get a TI-89 or HP 50g because I want to write C programs (Z80 asm was too fustrating) and of course, because I want a good calculator to use on exams (electrical engineering).

According to Wikipedia, the TI-89 (Titanium) has only about 17 MHz while the HP 50g has a 203 MHz processor clocked at 75 MHz and can be easily overclocked. On top of that, the HP has expandable memory and infrared. Why then, is the HP 50g $30-$40 cheaper than the TI-89? Is that processing speed available for user programs?

The TI-89 however, has a much larger community and many more programs and games. I especially want the GB emulator, but it runs way too slow (I need games to prevent myself from falling asleep sometimes).

Say the GB emulator were to be somehow ported to the HP 50g, then would the HP 50g be able to run it faster?

I know nothing of RPN, but is it actually faster to read what you've written algebraicly, convert it to RPN mentally, and then enter it into the calculator? Does RPN make doing exams any faster?

Also, which has better C programming support (unofficial and/or official)? For the HP 50g, do I need to get the serial cable or is there another method?

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
I have an HP50G and I love it!

If you're planning to be a real professional (Engineer and or Scientist) then you really do need an HP Calculator. And Yes it is much more powerful than the TI-89 but the learning curve can take a while but I'm pretty sure if you are smart enough to do Physics you can do an HP50G, if you can do Calculus...you can do HP50G!

As long as you carry the Instructional Manual around with you you'll be fine. And the reason why HP50G is cheaper than the TI-89 is because Hewlett Packard ($100 Billion dollar company) can actually afford to lower the cost without hurting itself financially to produce you a superior product as good if not better than TI's. It's a strategic move to compete against the Monopoly that Texas Instrument has in the Industry.

There's also slot room for 2GB of Flash expansion memory to store your additional programing.

A good site for add-ons: :approve: :blushing:
http://www.hpcalc.org/

Youtube Videos on HP50G:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hp50g&search_type=

The only way for you to separate yourself from the Men and the Boys in your classroom is for you to get an HP Calculator! I'm not promising you'll be getting any dates from the ladies and all, but your classmates, even the Teacher, will be drooling all over you when they see you with an HP50G.

Its the Ferrari brand of calculators as of right now. lol. :cool:

Hippo said:
I have an HP50G and I love it!

If you're planning to be a real professional (Engineer and or Scientist) then you really do need an HP Calculator. And Yes it is much more powerful than the TI-89 but the learning curve can take a while but I'm pretty sure if you are smart enough to do Physics you can do an HP50G, if you can do Calculus...you can do HP50G!

As long as you carry the Instructional Manual around with you you'll be fine. And the reason why HP50G is cheaper than the TI-89 is because Hewlett Packard ($100 Billion dollar company) can actually afford to lower the cost without hurting itself financially to produce you a superior product as good if not better than TI's. It's a strategic move to compete against the Monopoly that Texas Instrument has in the Industry.

There's also slot room for 2GB of Flash expansion memory to store your additional programing.

A good site for add-ons: :approve: :blushing:
http://www.hpcalc.org/

Youtube Videos on HP50G:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hp50g&search_type=
Thank you for the reply. I'll definitely be getting the HP 50g then - I don't mind the learning curve and it'll be worth it if I am to continue using it once I start working as a professional engineer. I had almost ordered it, but decided to wait until I got a response. For some reason, it's difficult to find in retail stores and most of the online stores ship it in 1-2 weeks.

Hippo said:
The only way for you to separate yourself from the Men and the Boys in your classroom is for you to get an HP Calculator! I'm not promising you'll be getting any dates from the ladies and all, but your classmates, even the Teacher, will be drooling all over you when they see you with an HP50G.

Its the Ferrari brand of calculators as of right now. lol. :cool:
lol...

Here to download E-Lessons in PDF files:
http://www.thiel.edu/Mathproject/CalculatorLessons/Default.htmAn Introduction to Programming HP Graphing Calculators:
http://www.thiel.edu/Mathproject/ITPHPC/Default.htm

Enjoy.

Last edited:

What is the difference between the TI 89 and HP 50g calculators?

The main difference between the TI 89 and HP 50g calculators is their operating systems. The TI 89 uses the proprietary TI-89 operating system, while the HP 50g uses the RPL (Reverse Polish LISP) programming language. This results in differences in the syntax and capabilities of the calculators.

Can I program on the TI 89 and HP 50g calculators?

Yes, both the TI 89 and HP 50g calculators have programming capabilities. The TI 89 uses the TI-BASIC language, while the HP 50g uses the RPL programming language. Both languages have their own unique syntax and functions, but they can both be used to create programs and perform complex calculations.

Which calculator is better for programming?

This is a subjective question as it ultimately depends on the user's preferences and needs. The TI 89 may be better for beginners as it has a more user-friendly interface and simpler syntax. However, the HP 50g has more advanced programming capabilities and can handle more complex calculations. It is best to research and compare both calculators to determine which one would be most suitable for your specific programming needs.

Can I use the TI 89 and HP 50g calculators for more than just math calculations?

Yes, both the TI 89 and HP 50g calculators have additional features that make them useful for more than just math calculations. They both have graphing capabilities, can solve equations, and have a variety of built-in functions for performing different operations. Additionally, both calculators have the ability to store notes and documents, making them useful for taking notes and organizing information.

Are there any limitations to programming on the TI 89 and HP 50g calculators?

While both calculators have powerful programming capabilities, there are some limitations to consider. The TI 89 has limited memory and processing power, so complex programs may run slower or not at all. The HP 50g has more memory and processing power, but it can be more difficult for beginners to learn due to its use of the RPL programming language. It is important for users to understand the limitations of each calculator and work within those constraints when programming.