How mass change if 30M above earth surface?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a physics homework question that asks about the percentage increase in rest mass when climbing 30 meters to the top of a ten-story building. The person asking for help is unsure of what equation to use and is questioned about their understanding of rest mass. The expert suggests answering the question about rest mass before giving the answer to the original question.
xlzhsteven
There is one question from my physics HW which asks "By what percentage does your rest mass increase when you climb 30 m to the top of a ten-story building?"

Please help me with this problem.
I don't know what equation to use to figure out the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
Rest mass is an intrinsic property of matter. It doesn't change as you climb up any building.
By the way your question shouldn't be asked in the "Advanced Physics" forum. :redface:

There is one question from my physics HW which asks "By what percentage does your rest mass increase when you climb 30 m to the top of a ten-story building?"

Please help me with this problem.
I don't know what equation to use to figure out the answer.

Why do you think your rest mass might change?

it's what the question ask for

No Steven you are wrong.
Dick is trying to get you to express your understanding of what rest mass is.
The question does not ask you this; it merely asks you how much it might change.
Once you have a clear understanding of what rest mass is then you will know the answer to your question.
Try and answer Dick's question first and if you still don't get it we can tell you the answer.

1. How does mass change if an object is 30M above the Earth's surface?

The mass of an object does not change based on its distance from the Earth's surface. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object and is constant regardless of its location.

2. Does gravity affect the mass of an object if it is 30M above the Earth's surface?

Gravity does not directly affect the mass of an object. However, gravity is responsible for the weight of an object, which is the force that acts on an object due to gravity. The weight of an object can change depending on its distance from the Earth's surface, but its mass remains the same.

3. Will an object weigh more or less if it is 30M above the Earth's surface?

An object will weigh less if it is 30M above the Earth's surface compared to when it is on the Earth's surface. This is because the force of gravity decreases as distance from the Earth's surface increases.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its weight when it is 30M above the Earth's surface?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its weight. However, a more massive object will have a greater gravitational force acting on it, resulting in a greater weight. So, if two objects are at the same distance from the Earth's surface, the more massive one will have a greater weight.

5. Is the gravitational pull the same at 30M above the Earth's surface as it is on the surface?

No, the gravitational pull decreases as distance from the Earth's surface increases. This means that the gravitational pull at 30M above the Earth's surface is slightly less than the pull at the surface. However, the difference is very small and not noticeable for most objects.