Two pm alternators in parallel query

• Thread starter b.shahvir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parallel
In summary, if you increase the torque on Alt 'A', then the magnitude of 'Ea' will increase. If you decrease the torque on Alt 'A', then the magnitude of 'Ea' will decrease. The magnitude of 'Eb' will not change. The magnitude of 'Vt' will not change.
b.shahvir
Hi Guys, :smile:

My query is a bit abstract in nature! But i will be very grateful if someone can provide me with the solution to my query. Here goes;

Consider two Permanent Magnet (PM) Alternators Alt 'A' & Alt 'B' connected in parallel, supplying equal power to a purely 'Resistive' load (unity p.f.). Both the Alternators have equal stator synchronous reactances (stator resistances can be neglected). Please note, they are not connected to the local power grid (infinite bus). Now, if i increase the driving torque of say, Alt 'A', then what changes will occur with respect to the following electrial parameters:-

1) Will magnitude of induced emf 'Ea' of Alt 'A' increase/decrease ? Please explain.

2) Will magnitude of induced emf 'Eb' of Alt 'B' increase/decrease ? Please explain

3) Will magnitude of terminal voltage 'Vt' increase/decrease ? If the magnitude of 'Vt' remains constant or decreases (due to armature reaction), then please explain.

4) Can someone please provide me with a practical phasor diagram for the above query. I am asking for one, since the phasor diagrams in textbooks have lot of assumed conditions & hence do not relate to practical conditions!

Any kind of help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
Shahvir

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
b.shahvir said:
Hi Guys, :smile:

My query is a bit abstract in nature! But i will be very grateful if someone can provide me with the solution to my query. Here goes;

Consider two Permanent Magnet (PM) Alternators Alt 'A' & Alt 'B' connected in parallel, supplying equal power to a purely 'Resistive' load (unity p.f.). Both the Alternators have equal stator synchronous reactances (stator resistances can be neglected). Please note, they are not connected to the local power grid (infinite bus). Now, if i increase the driving torque of say, Alt 'A', then what changes will occur with respect to the following electrial parameters:-

1) Will magnitude of induced emf 'Ea' of Alt 'A' increase/decrease ? Please explain.

2) Will magnitude of induced emf 'Eb' of Alt 'B' increase/decrease ? Please explain

3) Will magnitude of terminal voltage 'Vt' increase/decrease ? If the magnitude of 'Vt' remains constant or decreases (due to armature reaction), then please explain.

4) Can someone please provide me with a practical phasor diagram for the above query. I am asking for one, since the phasor diagrams in textbooks have lot of assumed conditions & hence do not relate to practical conditions!

Any kind of help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
Shahvir

Welcome to the PF. What are your thoughts on your questions? What is the context of your looking into this? Are you working on building a project, or is this for school or self study, perhaps?

Thanx Berkeman...How does loading of the 2 PM alternators happen under the conditions, Alt 'A' at 75% loading & Alt 'B' at 25% loading. To increase loading of Alt 'A' to 75%, input torque of Alt 'A' would have to be increased! albiet with a rise in bus frequency.

I basically want to understand the internal happenings in the 2 alternators with respect to the induced EMFs 'Ea', 'Eb' and terminal voltage 'Vt' for the Alt 'A' (75%) - Alt 'B' (25%) loading conditions under steady state conditions.

My query is for academic interest & does not reflect practical requirements.

Thanks & Regards,
Shahvir

Someone please reply to this query too! :frown:

Kind Regards,
Shahvir

This is a difficult project. You cannot change the RPM of either motor (think of adding 59 Hz and 61 Hz-what do you get?), but you can change the phase of either alternator. The two motors have to be kept in the exact phase, which means you need to use a cogged belt drive (like a timing belt) to both. In addition, if the load on one alternator increases, the phase of the voltage output will be retarded as the torque increases, even if the drive belt doesn't slip. If the drive belts are not cogged, I suspect that the stable relative phase of the two alternators will be 180 degrees out, so no output power is generated.

It is much easier to put the two alternators in series and use a step down transformer. But you still need to use a cogged belt.

:smile: Thanx Bob for your reply, but this is not a project. I put this post to gain a deeper understanding of the physics of two PM alternators when connected in parallel. You can say it is a topic of interest for me.

I request you to refer post # 1 of this thread and give a suitable reply to my questions so that i can proceed further with queries if any.

Kind Regards,
Shahvir

What are two pm alternators?

Two pm alternators are a type of electrical generator that produces alternating current (AC) at a frequency of 120 cycles per second (cps) or 60 hertz (Hz). They are commonly used in power generation systems and are typically run by an engine or turbine.

What does it mean for two pm alternators to be in parallel?

Two pm alternators in parallel means that they are connected to each other and are working together to produce electrical power. In this configuration, the two alternators share the load and work together to provide a larger amount of power than a single alternator could on its own.

Why would two pm alternators be connected in parallel?

Two pm alternators are connected in parallel to increase the overall power output and to provide redundancy in case one alternator fails. This configuration also allows for more efficient use of the alternators, as they can share the load and operate at a higher efficiency.

What are the benefits of using two pm alternators in parallel?

The main benefits of using two pm alternators in parallel are increased power output, improved efficiency, and redundancy. This configuration also allows for easier maintenance, as one alternator can be taken offline for repairs while the other continues to provide power.

What are the potential drawbacks of using two pm alternators in parallel?

One potential drawback of using two pm alternators in parallel is the increased complexity of the system. This configuration requires additional wiring and controls, which can be more expensive and may require more maintenance. Additionally, if the two alternators are not well-matched, there can be issues with load sharing and one alternator may end up doing more work than the other.