Simple Torque problem. Help please

• Thread starter Rha1828
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, a uniform ladder with a length of 5m and a mass of 15 kg is leaning against a wall at a 45 degree angle. The wall can support a maximum of 500 N. A fireman needs to climb to the midpoint of the ladder, and the maximum mass the fireman can have without collapsing the wall is 87 kg. To find this answer, the moments (torques) must be taken about the base of the ladder, using the formula ∑(force x perpendicular distance).
Rha1828
A uniform ladder of a length 5m and a mass 15 kg leans against a wall, making a 45 degree angle with the ground. The wall is capable of supporting a maximum of 500 N.

A fireman must climb the ladder to it's midpoint, what is the max mass that the fireman can be without collapsing the wall.Ok...So I know that for a uniform problem we know that this means that the Center of Mass will be halfway along the lengh of the board.

Again since this is a center of mass problem the sum of the torques must equal zero.

Et=0

I assumed that I would need to take the (max force)(cos 45) + (Weight of ladder)(distance of ladder) then divide that by the (total distance of the ladder)The answer should be 86.95kg

But I got..

(500N)cos45 + (15kg)(5m)

= 353.33N + 75 kg.m
= 428.33 N.kg.m / 5.0m = 85.66 = 86 kg

I am doing something wrong. I am not able to cancel out some of my units. Its seems like a simple mistake but any advice would help!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Force X Perpendicular distance = Torque.
Net torque = 0
500 X 5 cos45 = (15+m) g X 2.5 cos 45
m = (1000/9.8) - 15 = 87 Kg

Welcome to PF!

Hi Rha1828! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Rha1828 said:
A uniform ladder of a length 5m and a mass 15 kg leans against a wall, making a 45 degree angle with the ground. The wall is capable of supporting a maximum of 500 N.

A fireman must climb the ladder to it's midpoint, what is the max mass that the fireman can be without collapsing the wall.

I assumed that I would need to take the (max force)(cos 45) + (Weight of ladder)(distance of ladder) then divide that by the (total distance of the ladder)

I don't understand this at all :confused:

you should be taking moments (torques) about the base of the ladder …

that's ∑(force x perpendicular distance)

try again :smile:

sArGe99, on this forum, please don't try to give complete answers​

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force that causes an object to rotate. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied.

2. How do I calculate torque?

To calculate torque, you need to know the magnitude of the force applied and the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied. The formula for torque is torque = force x distance.

3. What are the units of torque?

The SI unit for torque is Newton-meters (Nm). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as pound-feet (lb-ft) or inch-pounds (in-lb).

4. How does torque affect rotational motion?

Torque is directly proportional to the angular acceleration of an object. This means that the greater the torque applied, the faster the object will rotate. Additionally, torque can also change the direction of rotation of an object.

5. What is the difference between torque and force?

While force is a push or pull that can cause an object to change its motion, torque specifically refers to the twisting force that causes rotational motion. Force is usually measured in Newtons (N), while torque is measured in Newton-meters (Nm).