Stopwatch Circuit: Schematic for High School Engineering Project

• Thread starter Jeff179
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a schematic for a stopwatch circuit that can count and display seconds and 1/100ths of seconds. The circuit should have two input switches, a start/stop button and a reset button. The person has searched online and found two potential options but they do not display 1/100ths of a second. They ask for assistance in figuring out how to add this feature and mention the possibility of using a microcontroller.
Jeff179
Hello,
I am in need of a schematic for a circuit that acts as a stopwatch which counts and displays seconds and 1/100ths of seconds for a high school engineering project. The circuit would have two input switches: one that acts as a start/stop button and one that acts as a reset button. After searching around on the internet, the closest thing I have found were these:

http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/oscillators_timers/014/index.html
http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/oscillators_timers/015/index.html

These would work except that I need it to display 1/100ths of a second as well. Having minutes also would be helpful but not necessary. Could anybody help me figure out how I could do this?
Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you know how to use a microcontroller? It'd be dead simple with one.

Dear student,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your high school engineering project. The circuits you have found online are a good starting point, but as you mentioned, they do not display 1/100ths of a second. To achieve this level of precision, you will need to use a more advanced circuit design.

One option is to use a microcontroller, such as an Arduino, to create your stopwatch circuit. With a microcontroller, you can program it to count and display 1/100ths of a second, as well as minutes and seconds. You can also incorporate the two input switches to act as the start/stop and reset buttons.

Another option is to use a digital integrated circuit (IC) specifically designed for timing applications, such as the CD4541. This IC has a built-in oscillator and can be programmed to count in 1/100ths of a second. You can find schematic diagrams and tutorials for using this IC online.

I recommend doing some further research and experimentation to determine which option would be the best fit for your project. It's important to keep in mind the level of complexity and resources you have available for your project. I wish you the best of luck in your project and hope this response was helpful. If you have any further questions, please feel free to reach out.

Sincerely,

1. What materials are needed to build a stopwatch circuit?

The materials needed for a stopwatch circuit include a breadboard, resistors, capacitors, transistors, LEDs, a 555 timer IC, and a power source (such as a 9V battery).

2. How does a stopwatch circuit work?

A stopwatch circuit uses a 555 timer IC to generate a continuous pulse signal. This signal is then divided down to create a precise timing loop, which is used to drive a display or sound an alarm. The circuit can be started and stopped using a push button switch, and the display will show the elapsed time.

3. Can this circuit be modified to include additional features?

Yes, this circuit can be modified to include additional features such as a lap timer, countdown timer, or multiple displays for different units of time (hours, minutes, seconds). The basic design can be expanded upon to fit the needs of the project.

4. Is prior knowledge of electronics required to build this circuit?

Some prior knowledge of electronics is helpful, but this circuit can also be built with guidance from a teacher or using online resources. It is a good project for high school students who are interested in learning about basic electronic components and circuits.

5. How accurate is the stopwatch circuit?

The accuracy of the stopwatch circuit depends on the components used and how well the circuit is built. With proper calibration and high-quality components, it can achieve accuracy within a few milliseconds. However, it may not be as precise as a commercial stopwatch.