Spur Gear Designing: Pitch Circle or Base Circle First?

In summary, when designing a spur gear, the pitch circle is usually defined first and then the base circle is determined using addendum and deddendum factors.
wings_of_fire
Hi,

I know basics of gear design but have never designed a gear before. I want to know, while designing a spur gear what is defined first 1] Pitch Circle or 2] Base Circle ?

In case. if base circle is defined first, then how to determine its diameter ?

Lot of design materials explain how to design a gear on a very surface level. I have gone through lot of material on gear design before posting this querry but I was unable to find the answer. please guide me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The pitch circle is typically defined first as that is essentially the standard "distance" between centerlines of the gearset. From here, you then can typically just use addendum and deddendum factors to adjust the OD and base circle.

1. What is the difference between pitch circle and base circle in spur gear designing?

The pitch circle is the theoretical circle defined by the outermost points of the gear teeth. It is used to determine the size and spacing of the teeth. The base circle, on the other hand, is the imaginary circle that the gear teeth are actually cut on. It is used to determine the shape and profile of the gear teeth.

2. Which should be determined first in spur gear designing, the pitch circle or the base circle?

In most cases, it is recommended to determine the pitch circle first. This is because the size and spacing of the teeth are crucial for the overall functioning of the gears. Once the pitch circle is determined, the base circle can be calculated using mathematical equations or by using gear design software.

3. How do you calculate the pitch circle and base circle in spur gear designing?

The pitch circle can be calculated by dividing the number of teeth on the gear by the diametral pitch (or module in metric units). The base circle can then be calculated using the pitch circle and the pressure angle of the gear. Alternatively, gear design software can be used to automatically calculate both circles.

4. What factors should be considered when determining the pitch circle and base circle in spur gear designing?

The main factors to consider are the desired gear ratio, the torque and power requirements, the speed and direction of rotation, and the type of load the gears will be subjected to. These factors will determine the size and profile of the gear teeth, which in turn will affect the pitch circle and base circle calculations.

5. Are there any other methods for determining the pitch circle and base circle in spur gear designing?

Yes, there are other methods such as using templates, gear measuring instruments, or gear design software. However, the most accurate and reliable method is using mathematical calculations based on standard gear design formulas. It is important to note that the accuracy of the calculations will also depend on the precision of the gear manufacturing process.