-ADVICE NEEDED- Double Major - EE & CS or EE & Physics

In summary, if your motivation is money, you should probably study computer science. If your motivation is to solve problems, you should study engineering.
xanadol
Greetings to all,

I am a new member and I am hoping to grab the attention of people who might have passed through the same route that I am on or people in similar situation.

I'm an EE junior and I am thinking about adding another major; I am in doubt, however. I am not very picky about my career either. I will enjoy anything as long as there is a problem to be solved. I took programming courses MATLAB, Java, C and aced all of 'em. Also finished dynamics and statics and also the first year physics for engineers and scientists. I have no problem with neither programming nor physics.

I am planning my career in the area that pays the most. Money is the entity that motivates me.

I am not certain but I hope to find jobs in energy or telecom industries. Also I want to go further for master's degree in an engineering field. Might be a MS EE, specializing in energy or MS in Nuclear engineering or MS in control systems or MS in Telecom engr.

But for the present, as I stated before, I'm a junior EE and in doubt of my second major. Having said my motivation, and further education goals, what do you think is the smartest decision for me to make, double majoring in EE and CS or EE and Physics?

I might have given insufficient information; as the discussion progresses, I will provide more info, I guess. But thanks for the insights from now.

Physics news on Phys.org
57 looks and 0 reply, man that helps!

xanadol said:
Greetings to all,

I am a new member and I am hoping to grab the attention of people who might have passed through the same route that I am on or people in similar situation.

I'm an EE junior and I am thinking about adding another major; I am in doubt, however. I am not very picky about my career either. I will enjoy anything as long as there is a problem to be solved. I took programming courses MATLAB, Java, C and aced all of 'em. Also finished dynamics and statics and also the first year physics for engineers and scientists. I have no problem with neither programming nor physics.

I am planning my career in the area that pays the most. Money is the entity that motivates me.

I am not certain but I hope to find jobs in energy or telecom industries. Also I want to go further for master's degree in an engineering field. Might be a MS EE, specializing in energy or MS in Nuclear engineering or MS in control systems or MS in Telecom engr.

But for the present, as I stated before, I'm a junior EE and in doubt of my second major. Having said my motivation, and further education goals, what do you think is the smartest decision for me to make, double majoring in EE and CS or EE and Physics?

I might have given insufficient information; as the discussion progresses, I will provide more info, I guess. But thanks for the insights from now.

If money is your main motivator you could do a engineering degree then a law degree and become a patent lawyer or do engineering and work your way up to CEO. Theres a hell of competition for CEO. Maybe you could switch to law and become partner of a huge firm.

Personally my advice is do what your heart tells you and not something based on money. I know its a cliche but I think (and hopefully others will agree) that its a time tested and true saying.

It's hard to predict what pay scales will be like in the future, when you actually enter the job market, but assuming things don't change drastically between now and then, you'd probably be more likely to find a high-paying job as a computer programmer than as a physicist. CS isn't exactly programming, of course, but it will probably prepare you for a programming job slightly better than physics.

1. What is the difference between double majoring in EE & CS versus EE & Physics?

The main difference between these two double major options is the focus of the coursework. A double major in EE & CS will primarily focus on the intersection of electrical engineering and computer science, while a double major in EE & Physics will focus on the intersection of electrical engineering and physics.

2. Which double major combination would be more beneficial for a career in the tech industry?

Both double major combinations can lead to successful careers in the tech industry. However, a double major in EE & CS may be more directly applicable to roles in software development, while a double major in EE & Physics may be more applicable to roles in hardware development or research.

3. Is it possible to complete a double major in EE & CS or EE & Physics within four years?

It is possible to complete a double major in four years, but it may require careful planning and a heavy course load. It is important to speak with an academic advisor to determine the feasibility of completing a double major within the desired time frame.

4. Will a double major in EE & CS or EE & Physics be more challenging than a single major?

Double majoring in any field will likely be more challenging than pursuing a single major, as it requires completing a larger number of courses and balancing coursework from two different disciplines. However, the specific difficulty of a double major in EE & CS or EE & Physics will depend on the individual's strengths and interests.

5. Are there any specific career opportunities that a double major in EE & CS or EE & Physics can open up?

A double major in EE & CS or EE & Physics can open up a variety of career opportunities, depending on the individual's skills and interests. Some potential career paths may include software engineering, hardware engineering, data science, research and development, and more.