Torque,flywheels and angular acceleration

In summary, torque is a measure of the twisting force applied to an object and is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb). It is also related to flywheels, which use torque to store rotational energy. The formula for calculating torque is: torque = force x lever arm. Additionally, angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time and is measured in units of radians per second squared (rad/s²). Torque, flywheels, and angular acceleration are related as torque causes angular acceleration in a flywheel, resulting in an increase in angular velocity and the storage of rotational kinetic energy.
tomhitchmough
ive been trying to do this question all summer to no joy. I've got a flywheel in motion which then has a torque applied for short period and i need to find the angular acceleration. i know its something to do with inertia but I am completely lost cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Newton's 2nd law applied to rotation will give you the angular acceleration: Torque = Iα. (I is the rotational inertia of the flywheel.)

yer cheers I've done that and I've got a angular acceleration of 1000 rads-2 for 10kg disc radius 0.1m for a torque applied of 50Nm which seems a bit big

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force applied to an object. It is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb). It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is torque related to flywheels?

Flywheels use torque to store rotational energy. The greater the torque applied to a flywheel, the more energy it can store. This stored energy can then be released to power machinery or vehicles.

What is the formula for calculating torque?

The formula for torque is: torque = force x lever arm. The force is the amount of push or pull applied to the object, and the lever arm is the distance from the force's point of application to the axis of rotation.

What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. It is typically measured in units of radians per second squared (rad/s²). It describes how quickly an object's rotational speed is changing.

How are torque, flywheels, and angular acceleration related?

Torque is what causes angular acceleration in a flywheel. As torque is applied to the flywheel, it causes it to rotate faster, resulting in an increase in angular velocity and angular acceleration. The flywheel then stores this energy as rotational kinetic energy.