Upwards buoyancy pressure only acts on the surface of a structure that

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of buoyancy and liquid pressure and how it affects a partially submerged cube. It is clarified that buoyancy acts on the surface of the cube facing downward and the force on the sides will cancel out. The bottom surface of the cube is the only area that needs to be considered when calculating pressure on the downside, and if the pressure is 2700 kpa, the cube will sink to a depth of 270 meters where the pressure is equal. However, this is only true if the top surface is not submerged. If the top surface is submerged, the buoyant force is equal to the difference in pressure.
gloo
so with buoyancy and liquid pressure i am pretty sure i know the answer but i just want to confirm (please don't laugh if it's obvious)

- upwards buoyancy pressure only acts on the surface of a structure that is faced down
- the bottom of the structure that supports all the mass of the structure (assume a cube like structure for simplicity) is the only area that has to be taken into account when calculating pressure on the downside.
- if the pressure on the bottom of the cube surface is 2700kpa, it will find equilibrium and stop at 2700 kpa of the ocean (270 meters)

Physics news on Phys.org

gloo said:
- upwards buoyancy pressure only acts on the surface of a structure that is faced down
No, it is the total resultant force.
- the bottom of the structure that supports all the mass of the structure (assume a cube like structure for simplicity) is the only area that has to be taken into account when calculating pressure on the downside.
...and supports the water above the object.
- if the pressure on the bottom of the cube surface is 2700kpa, it will find equilibrium and stop at 2700 kpa of the ocean (270 meters)
No, if the pressure is 2700 kpa, then it is at a depth where the pressure is 2700 kpa! It can't be anywhere else!

thanks Russ - i just want to clarify points 1 and 3

1. I guess i was making an assumptiom buoyancy meant upward for this point. I was trying to say that buoyant force pusing upward on the object only acts on the surface of the cube facing downward (partial submersion). The forces on the side will cancel out and have no net effect upward

3. in a partial submersion scenario, if the formula of pressure=force/area - and whatever the force of gravity on the cube and it's contents and divide by the area of the bottom of the cube, and it's answer is 2700kpa, then the bottom of the cube will sink until it reaches 270 meters (where the pressure is 2700kpa). There the pressure downward on the cube's bottom surface is equal to the upward pressure of the water at that depth, and that is where the cube will stop sinking (equilibrium?)

Yes, in the case of a partially submerged cube with its sides kept perfectly vertical, only the water pressure on the bottom surface contributes to the upward buoyant force. (But don't forget air pressure pushing down on the top surface.)

For #3, that's only true if the top surface is not submerged. If the top surface is under water, then the bouyant force is equal to the difference in pressure (times area). For a submerged object, bouyancy is not a function of depth.

1. How does upward buoyancy pressure affect structures?

Upward buoyancy pressure is a force that acts on the surface of a structure, pushing it upwards. This pressure is caused by the weight of the fluid above the structure and can cause the structure to float or rise.

2. Is upwards buoyancy pressure the only force acting on a structure?

No, there are other forces that can act on a structure, such as gravity, wind, and water currents. However, upwards buoyancy pressure is a significant force that must be considered in the design and stability of a structure.

3. How does the shape of a structure affect upwards buoyancy pressure?

The shape of a structure can greatly impact the amount of upwards buoyancy pressure it experiences. A wider, flatter shape will experience more upward force compared to a narrow, tall structure. This is because a wider surface area allows for more fluid to exert pressure on the structure.

4. Can upwards buoyancy pressure cause a structure to fail?

Yes, if the upwards buoyancy pressure exceeds the weight of the structure, it can cause the structure to become unstable and potentially fail. This is why it is important for engineers to carefully consider buoyancy forces in the design and construction of structures.

5. How can we calculate upwards buoyancy pressure on a structure?

The upwards buoyancy pressure on a structure can be calculated using Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force acting on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. This can be calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid, the acceleration due to gravity, and the volume of fluid displaced by the structure.