Peskin and Schroeder eq. (2.52)

In summary, the conversation is about a confusion in understanding the calculation of D(x-y) for a real Klein-Gordon scalar field, specifically in equation (2.52) on page 27 of Peskin and Schroeder. The confusion is regarding the integral and its limits, as well as the use of contour deformation. The expert responder clarifies that the contour is pushed up along the branch cut, resulting in three integrals. The second and third integrals cancel out, leaving only the first integral with a phase of -1. The limits of integration on the second integral are not -\pi to 0 because it is easier to make a full circle, isolating the dependence on the pole in the middle integral.
sizzleiah
Hi there.

I've just finished reading chapter 2 of Peskin and Schroeder, and I managed to follow all of their calculations - with one exception:

Homework Statement

I'm not sure how P&S arrive at the integral in equation (2.52) (page 27) from the previous step in the calculation of D(x-y).

Homework Equations

We're trying to calculate [tex]D(x-y)=<0|\phi (x) \phi (y) |0>[/tex] for a real Klein-Gordon scalar field [tex]\phi[/tex], where [tex]x-y[/tex] is purely spatial.

The Attempt at a Solution

Getting to the step right before eq. (2.52) is easy enough - it's just a standard integration in spherical coordinates. Then P&S make branch cuts to create a simply connected domain, so that they can apply path independence to the contour integration. I'm ok with all of that, but then they lose me when they write down the integral in eq. (2.52). It's confusing to me for a couple of reasons. One is that I'm not entirely sure how to deal with a contour that goes off to infinity in this way - where we can't restrict the variable of integration to be real (doesn't the complex plane only have one infinity?). Another is that it seems that for the lower limit of the integration to be valid, P&S are claiming that we have [tex]p=i m[/tex]. Are they implying that we should be integrating along the branch cut? This seems very strange to me. I'm obviously no complex analyst, but I knew enough to be able to understand fairly easily what they did on the next few pages with the Feynman propagator. So...what am I missing?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There IS only one infinity in the complex plane, which is precisely why this contour deformation works. The original contour is along the real axis. Instead, we push it up so that it is along the branch cut. That is, the first part of the contour comes down on the left side of the branch cut, then goes around the pole, and then back up the right side of the branch cut. So, splitting the contour up piecewise, there are really three integrals:

[tex]\int_{i\infty - \varepsilon}^{im - \varepsilon} f(p) \; dp\; + \int_{\pi/4}^{9\pi/4} f(im + \varepsilon e^{i\theta}) \; d\theta \; + \int_{im + \varepsilon}^{i\infty + \varepsilon} f(p) \; dp[/tex]

The middle integral vanishes. The third integral is equal to the first integral times a phase (this phase is incurred by going around the pole to get to the other side of the branch cut). Evidently, the phase is -1; thus giving us +1 when we reverse the limits of integration to match the first integral. Notice in P&S 2.52 that a factor of 2 has been canceled from the previous line; this is due to taking the sum of the first and third integral in my expression above.

Hey, thanks a lot for responding.

It looks like my complex analysis is more rusty than I thought.

Why are the limits of integration on the 2nd integral not [tex]-\pi[/tex] to 0? Naively, I would think that we'd just integrate from the left part of the contour over to the right part along a semicircle in this way.

For the 3rd integral, after we've reversed the limits of integration, you're saying that we can change the [tex]+\epsilon[/tex] in the limits to [tex]-\epsilon[/tex] at the cost of a -1 phase? I don't see why that is.

sizzleiah said:
Why are the limits of integration on the 2nd integral not [tex]-\pi[/tex] to 0? Naively, I would think that we'd just integrate from the left part of the contour over to the right part along a semicircle in this way.

You can, but it's easier to make a full circle, because then all the dependence on the pole is isolated in the middle integral.

For the 3rd integral, after we've reversed the limits of integration, you're saying that we can change the [tex]+\epsilon[/tex] in the limits to [tex]-\epsilon[/tex] at the cost of a -1 phase? I don't see why that is.

Look at f(p). Put in [itex]p = I am + \varepsilon e^{i\pi/4}[/itex] and [itex]p = I am + \varepsilon e^{i9\pi/4}[/itex]. You should get a phase difference of -1.

Also, note that we're taking the limit as [itex]\varepsilon \rightarrow 0[/itex].

Ok, I get it. Thanks a lot for the help.

1. What is Peskin and Schroeder eq. (2.52)?

Peskin and Schroeder eq. (2.52) is an equation from the textbook "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Michael E. Peskin and Daniel V. Schroeder. It is used to calculate the propagator for a scalar field in momentum space.

2. Why is Peskin and Schroeder eq. (2.52) important?

Peskin and Schroeder eq. (2.52) is important because it is a fundamental equation in quantum field theory. It allows us to calculate the probability amplitude for a particle to move from one point to another in a field theory.

3. How do you derive Peskin and Schroeder eq. (2.52)?

Peskin and Schroeder eq. (2.52) can be derived using the path integral formalism and the Feynman rules for scalar fields. It involves taking the Fourier transform of the propagator in position space and applying the appropriate Feynman rules.

4. What is the physical interpretation of Peskin and Schroeder eq. (2.52)?

Peskin and Schroeder eq. (2.52) represents the probability amplitude for a particle to propagate from one point to another in a scalar field. It takes into account all possible paths that the particle could take and calculates the overall probability amplitude.

5. Is Peskin and Schroeder eq. (2.52) applicable to all quantum field theories?

Peskin and Schroeder eq. (2.52) is specifically derived for scalar fields, but it can be extended to other types of fields such as fermions and gauge fields. However, the specific form of the equation may vary for different field theories.