Analysis of Tapered Cantilever Beam

• Thread starter piygar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cantilever
In summary: It is not mentioned in the classical beam theory that the vertical load must be perpendicular to the neutral axis. However, when using the deflection equation, it is important to consider the variable sectional inertia of the beam, which may be affected by the inclined neutral axis. Overall, the goal is to find the vertical deflection of the tapered cantilever beam and any suggestions for solving this problem are appreciated. In summary, the conversation discusses the analysis of a tapered cantilever beam and the questions surrounding the neutral axis and vertical load. The neutral axis of the beam is still the midline of the upper and lower edges, but it is inclined due to the tapered shape. To accurately calculate the vertical deflection, the applied vertical load must
piygar
Hi All,
I am analyzing a cantilevere beam which is tapered only at the lower edge. (Please see attached image)
Please look at the image. I have following questions:

1. Isn't the neutral axis of a beam will be midline of upper and lower edges of beam which makes the applied vertical load to be inclined wrt neutral axis.

2. if neutral axis is inclined,do i need to resolve the applied vertical load ,normal and parallel to neutral axis? and only vertical component of load be considered (for me) to apply the classical beam bending theory. (is it anywhere mentioned in classical beam theory that vertical load be perpendicular to neutral axis)

i derived vertical deflection expression from deflection equation, for above case by considering the variable sectional inertia of beam but then i think that doesn't take in inclined NA of the beam.

basically i intend to find the vertical deflection of this beam and this is all what i think is going here.
Any more suggestion to solve the above problem?

Attachments

• TaperedCanti.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 374
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks in advance.The neutral axis of the beam would still be the midline of the upper and lower edges of the beam. However, since the beam is tapered, the neutral axis will be inclined with respect to the vertical load. To account for this, you would need to resolve the applied vertical load into components that are normal and parallel to the neutral axis. Then, you can use the classical beam bending theory to calculate the vertical deflection of the beam.

1. What is a tapered cantilever beam?

A tapered cantilever beam is a structural element that is fixed at one end and free at the other end, and has a varying cross-section along its length.

2. Why is analysis of tapered cantilever beams important?

Analysis of tapered cantilever beams is important because it allows engineers to determine the behavior and strength of these beams under different loads, which is crucial in designing structures that use tapered beams.

3. What factors affect the analysis of tapered cantilever beams?

The main factors that affect the analysis of tapered cantilever beams are the geometry of the beam, the material properties, and the applied loads.

4. What are some common methods used in the analysis of tapered cantilever beams?

Some common methods used in the analysis of tapered cantilever beams include the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory, the Timoshenko beam theory, and finite element analysis.

5. How can the results of analysis of tapered cantilever beams be used in real-world applications?

The results of analysis of tapered cantilever beams can be used in the design and construction of various structures such as bridges, buildings, and aircraft wings. They can also help in predicting the failure of these structures and determining the necessary reinforcements.