Recommendation for Quantum Mechanics book

In summary, the conversation was about a person looking for a book for self-studying quantum mechanics with a focus on mathematics. Several books were recommended, including "Quantum Mechanics - an Introduction" by W. Greiner, "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by R. Shankar, and "Lectures on Quantum Theory: Mathematical and Structural Foundations" by Chris Isham. Other suggestions included "Mathematical Concepts of Quantum Mechanics" by Stephen J. Gustafson and Israel Michael Sigal, "Quantum Mechanics" by Ballentine, and "Introductory Quantum Mechanics" by Liboff. The books by Feynman and Griffiths were also mentioned.
logarithmic
Can someone recommend me a book for self-studying quantum mechanics, just for personal interest.

I'm studying math, but not physics.

So I'm looking for something with a bit more of a mathematical focus. I'm very knowledgeable in linear algebra, and also know about Hilbert spaces and some functional analysis in general.

My physics knowledge is OK, but I've never had any formal instruction in university level physics, although I'm well-aware the general ideas of QM, although not the mathematical details, which is what I hope to learn.

Physics news on Phys.org
Those are the books recommended by t'Hooft for self study:

# Quantum Mechanics - an Introduction, 4th ed. - W. Greiner
# R. Shankar, Principles of Quantum Mechanics, Plenum
# Quantum Mechanics - Symmetries 2nd ed. - W. Greiner, B. Muller
# Quantum Mechanics - Vol 1&2 - Cohen-Tannoudji
# J.J. Sakurai, Advanced Quantum Mechanics, Addison-Wesley

Likes Joker93
Based on what you said I think "Lectures on quantum theory: mathematical and structural foundations" by Chris Isham would be the best choice. It might be a good idea to also get one of the standard introductory textbooks (e.g. Griffiths) and read both at the same time. By the way, there are lots of threads like this one, so you can check them out too.

I really like the book mentioned by Fredrik. Another possibility is Mathematical Concepts of Quantum Mechanics by Stephen J. Gustafson and Israel Michael Sigal,

Last edited by a moderator:
My top recomendation:
Introductory Quantum Mechanics-Liboff

I also have to second Greiner's book. Shanker's Principals of Quantum Mechanics is also good. However, I could NEVER recommend Griffiths (unlike everyone else on PF), as it is unsatisfying both mathematically and physically. Feynman's Lectures on PHysics, Vol. III is better

If your math is good, you can use Dirac without knowing any other physics.

What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior and interactions of particles on a microscopic scale. It provides a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles.

Why is it important to study quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of matter on a small scale, which is essential for advancements in technology and science. It also forms the basis of many fields, such as quantum computing and quantum chemistry.

What is a good book for learning about quantum mechanics?

There are many books available for learning about quantum mechanics, but some popular recommendations include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, and "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by R. Shankar.

Do I need a strong background in math to understand quantum mechanics?

Yes, a strong background in mathematics, particularly calculus and linear algebra, is necessary to fully understand quantum mechanics. However, some introductory books provide a gentle introduction to the mathematical concepts needed for understanding the subject.

Are there any online resources for learning about quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about quantum mechanics, including lecture notes, video lectures, and interactive simulations. Some popular resources include MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and the Quantum Mechanics section on Physics Stack Exchange.