Need help modifying rc car circuit

In summary, a small hack using a pager's motor and a RC receiver can be made to vibrate when the car's remote is used. The receiver circuit is small and can be reduced in size by using a smaller motor and fewer batteries. There may be an economical solution already available.
trip6
Hello,

I have this old toy RC car and a pager and I am wondering if a small hack, using the two is possible or not. The pager doesn't work but its motor does. I want to make a new "pager" that vibrates when the car's remote is used. The car has a small reciever circuit (27MHz if that's of any use) connected up to its own motor and uses 4x1.5V AA batteries. Its remote(transmitter) uses a 9V battery.

I would like to make this as small as possible (matchbox size preferably so it fits easily in a pocket). The reciever circuit is pretty small, its the motor that it is connected too, and the 4 batteries that take up a lot of space. Since I have this pager motor lying around I though it would make an ideal replacement for the car motor...greatly reducing the size.

And that's as far as I my limited knowledge of circuits takes me :)
Is there a way to determine if I can reduce the number of batteries(and hence the space) for the modified circuit? Will reducing the batteries effect the reciever? Also that pager motor is much much smaller than the car motor. Do I risk burning it up? And lastly the antenna is about 7-8inches. Can I bend it to reduce the size?
Sorry for all the dumb questions(hopefully not posting in the wrong forum) but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Most older RC receivers need more than 4.5 volts to operate as far as I know. It may be hard to eliminate voltage cells on the receiver. A step up switching power supply is a solution but hard to build yourself and probably costly to purchase. You might try to google for Rx hack that works on low voltage, such as wireless mouse or something like that, usually with much less Tx/Rx range.

Edit: afterthought, you might check the RC boards for more info on hacking old RC equipment.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I was hoping it would work over larger distance 25-30 meters (similar to range of keyless entry of cars). If this can work, its for someone who has recently lost their hearing. There are all kinds of alerting and signaling systems available for the hearing impaired. They seem simple enough but the prices just seem crazy.

I'll try to find some RC boards to post on. I saw some lithium camera (3V) batteries on sale which take up much less space than 4AA's. I might give those a try too. Thanks again for your help.

1. How can I increase the speed of my RC car?

To increase the speed of your RC car, you can modify the circuit by upgrading the motor, battery, and ESC (Electronic Speed Controller). These components work together to control the speed and power of the car. You can also adjust the gear ratio to increase the overall speed.

2. Can I add more lights to my RC car?

Yes, you can add more lights to your RC car by modifying the circuit. You will need to connect the lights to a power source, such as the battery or receiver. You may also need to install a switch to control the lights.

3. What are some common issues with RC car circuits?

Some common issues with RC car circuits include overheating, short circuits, and loose connections. These issues can be caused by faulty components, incorrect wiring, or excessive use. It is important to regularly check and maintain your RC car circuit to prevent these issues.

4. How do I make my RC car turn sharper?

To make your RC car turn sharper, you can modify the steering servo by adjusting the trim or endpoint settings. You can also change the suspension settings to improve the car's handling. Additionally, upgrading to a higher quality servo can also help improve the car's turning ability.

5. Can I use a different type of battery for my RC car?

Yes, you can use a different type of battery for your RC car by modifying the circuit. However, you must make sure that the voltage and size of the battery are compatible with your car's components. It is recommended to consult the manufacturer's instructions or seek professional help when making changes to the RC car's battery.