OpAmp Waveform w/ Same Inputs: What is it?

• Thread starter Melawrghk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Opamp
In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with both inputs connected to a person's wrists, using 1Mohm resistors. The question is asked about the resulting waveform, to which the response is that all they saw was noise and something resembling a jagged triangle function. There is uncertainty about whether the setup was done correctly and if there is a specific term for it. Additional questions are asked about the connection to the wrists, the purpose of the circuit, and the power supply inputs.
Melawrghk

Homework Statement

Circuit:
opamp1.jpg

Both inputs are connected to a person's wrists (we tried it with fingers too).
The resistors are both 1Mohm

"What is the name of the resulting waveform?"

The Attempt at a Solution

All we saw is noise and something that looked like a triangle function (jagged zigzag type thing). I'm not sure we did this right and I was just wondering if this setup is called something specific that I could possible look up.

Physics news on Phys.org
Melawrghk said:

Homework Statement

Circuit:
opamp1.jpg

Both inputs are connected to a person's wrists (we tried it with fingers too).
The resistors are both 1Mohm

"What is the name of the resulting waveform?"

The Attempt at a Solution

All we saw is noise and something that looked like a triangle function (jagged zigzag type thing). I'm not sure we did this right and I was just wondering if this setup is called something specific that I could possible look up.

What do you mean connected to the wrists? One to each wrist? How did you make connection? Were you trying to get some sort of differential ECG measurement? EMG?

If you just hard short the two inputs together in the figure shown, then you will just amplify the Input _____ Voltage by some gain? What goes in the blank, and what gain multiplies it? What output voltage would that give you approzimately?

BTW, what are the power supply inputs for the opamp, how is it bypassed, and what is the goal of the circuit?

1. What is an OpAmp?

An operational amplifier (OpAmp) is an electronic circuit component that amplifies the voltage difference between its two input terminals. It is commonly used in electronic devices as a signal amplifier or in feedback control circuits.

2. How does an OpAmp work?

An OpAmp typically consists of a differential amplifier with a large gain, followed by a feedback loop that controls the overall gain and output. The inputs are compared and the output is a voltage that is proportional to the difference between the inputs. This allows for precise amplification and manipulation of signals.

3. What are the inputs and outputs of an OpAmp?

The inputs of an OpAmp are the inverting and non-inverting terminals, and the output is the amplified voltage. The inverting input is usually denoted by a negative sign (-) while the non-inverting input is denoted by a positive sign (+).

4. What is a waveform and how does it relate to an OpAmp with the same inputs?

A waveform is a visual representation of a signal's amplitude over time. In an OpAmp with the same inputs, the waveform of the output will be identical to the waveform of the input, but with a larger amplitude. This is because the OpAmp amplifies the voltage difference between the inputs, resulting in a larger output signal.

5. What are some common applications of OpAmps?

OpAmps are used in a wide range of electronic devices and systems, including audio amplifiers, instrumentation amplifiers, active filters, and feedback control circuits. They are also commonly used in signal processing and communication systems.