Quantification logic and equivalence relations

In summary, there is a discussion about the definition of an equivalence relation, with two different definitions provided. The first definition is found in Dummit & Foote's Abstract Algebra, while the second is found in Topics in Algebra by Herstein. The question is whether these definitions are equivalent. The conversation discusses the mathematical reasoning behind the equivalence of these definitions and the importance of properly using logical notation. Ultimately, it is concluded that both definitions are equivalent and the mathematical reasoning provided is correct.
nhamann
I wasn't sure whether to post this in the algebra forum or here, but it seems that this is more of a logic question so I'm going with here. I am trying to understand whether there is a difference between the following two definitions of an equivalence relation:

Definition 1: A binary relation R on set A is an equivalence relation if:
  1. [tex]\forall a \in A \ a R a[/tex]
  2. [tex]\forall a, b \in A \ a R b \implies b R a[/tex]
  3. [tex]\forall a, b, c \in A \ a R b \land b R c \implies a R c[/tex]

Definition 2: A binary relation R on set A is an equivalence relation if [tex]\forall a, b, c \in A[/tex]:
  1. [tex]a R a[/tex]
  2. [tex]a R b \implies b R a[/tex]
  3. [tex]a R b \land b R c \implies a R c[/tex]

Definition 1 can be found in Dummit & Foote's Abstract Algebra, while Definition 2 can be found in Topics in Algebra by Herstein. A professor told me that the second definition is incorrect. However, it seems to me that the definitions are the same.

My present idea is that the following two statements are equivalent:

1. [tex]\forall x \ P_1(x) \land \forall y \ P_2(y)[/tex]
  2. [tex]\forall x \ P_1(x) \land P_2(x)[/tex]

where [tex]P_1[/tex] and [tex]P_2[/tex] are propositional functions. To me, then, it seems that you should be able to do the following:

let [tex]P_1(a) = a R a[/tex]
let [tex]P_2(a, b) = a R b \implies b R a[/tex]
let [tex]P_3(a, b, c) = a R b \land b R c \implies a R c[/tex]

Definition 1 can now be written as:

Definition 1a: A binary relation R on set A is an equivalence relation if:

[tex][\forall a \in A \ P_1(a)] \ \land \ [\forall b, c \in A \ P_2(b, c)] \ \land \ [\forall d, e, f \in A \ P_3(d, e, f)][/tex]​

It seems that this is analogous to the situation above, so that the universal quantifiers can be collapsed:

[tex]\forall a, b, c \in A \ P_1(a) \land P_2(a, b) \land P_3(a, b, c)[/tex]​

This latter statement is equivalent to Definition 2.

While this reasoning seems solid to me, I do not have a strong enough grasp of logic to be completely convinced of it. Can anyone fill me in where my analysis is wrong if it is wrong, and perhaps point me towards what I should study in order to understand this better?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes they are equivalent.

The problem is that some mathematicians are a little sloppy with logic notation. Both definitions are equivalente; in the second one it's assumed that the quantification is over the conjunction of the three formulas, while in the first, the author quantifies each one independently. Personally, I prefer the first one and, regarding logical form, is more correct. Mathematically, they are equivalent.

Regarding your argument, it's basically correct either; just a few comments, thought:

1. When you write something like this:
[tex]
\forall x \ P_1(x) \land P_2(x)
[/tex]
You should use parenthesis:
[tex]
\forall x \left(P_1(x) \land P_2(x)\right)
[/tex]
Otherwise, the expression is ambiguous: I assume that your intended meaning is that the quantifier bounds both variables but, without parenthesis, it could be read as an expression with a free variable, with a completely different meaning.

2. When you transport the universal quantifiers to the beginning of the formula, as they quantify over distinct bound variables, you should rename them first. But this is a minor point, only of interest to logicians.

What is quantification logic?

Quantification logic, also known as first-order logic, is a formal system used in mathematical and scientific fields to represent and reason about statements involving variables and quantifiers, such as "for all" and "there exists". It is a powerful tool for expressing and analyzing mathematical and logical concepts.

How is quantification logic used in science?

Quantification logic is used in science to formalize and analyze mathematical and logical concepts, such as sets, functions, and relations. It is also used to express and reason about scientific theories and models, and to make predictions and deductions based on those theories and models.

What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a mathematical concept that describes a relationship between two elements of a set, where the elements are considered equivalent based on certain criteria. This relationship is reflexive (every element is equivalent to itself), symmetric (if A is equivalent to B, then B is equivalent to A), and transitive (if A is equivalent to B and B is equivalent to C, then A is equivalent to C).

How are equivalence relations used in quantification logic?

Equivalence relations are used in quantification logic to represent and reason about mathematical and logical concepts, such as equality, similarity, and congruence. They are also used to define and manipulate mathematical structures, such as groups, rings, and fields.

What are some common examples of equivalence relations?

Some common examples of equivalence relations include:

• Equality: two objects are equivalent if they have the same value or properties
  • Similarity: two objects are equivalent if they have the same shape or structure
  • Congruence: two geometric figures are equivalent if they have the same size and shape
  • Modular equivalence: two numbers are equivalent if they have the same remainder when divided by a given number