Synthesizing Anhydrous Chloride Salts through Al Foil Reaction

• Thread starter Benzeen
  • Start date
In summary, this method of synthesizing metal halides uses an aluminothermic reaction in a retort or flask to produce the anhydrous salt.
Benzeen
Hi, first post!
OK my question is regarding the synthesis of metal halides, specifically those of Chlorine.
If i pass a dry stream of HCl(g) over a bed of heated Al foil will this be an acceptable route to the anhydrous salt? I am thinking of generating the hydrogen chloride from conc H2SO4 dripped into HCl acid, passing the gas through CaCl2, then into a large erlynmeyer flask (on a hot plate) containing Al foil with a second tube leading the excess gas out under a fume hood. I want the foil to be heated hot enough to react with the HCl gas but not so hot that the whole thing will react in 2 seconds (like the videos on the net)
Would my proposed method work? will the aluminium slowly convert to the salt, or will i need to lead the AlCl3 vapour into another cold flask in order for it to condense?
Any help appreciated :D

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yeah, this sounds more or less like it'll work although I've never tried it. I'd been interesting in hearing how it works if you attempt this experiment.

This might be of use to you. It's out of my library:

Ten grams of Al turnings are used for the retort
or flask which is swept out thoroughly with dry hydrogen
chloride. The receiving flask of the apparatus is fitted with
an outlet tube connected to a calcium chloride drying tube
to permit the escape of excess gas. The inlet tube for the
hydrogen chloride should lead well into the reaction flask,
and terminate about 2-3 inches from the surface of the
metal. The vessel is heated gently in a steady stream of gas
until white vapors start to form. The gas flow is then in-
creased somewhat and the flame raised slightly until all the
metal has reacted. After cooling, the gas inlet tube is quickly
removed and replaced by a waxed stopper; the chloride is
then sublimed into the receiver by means of a small flame,
and it may be further purified by resublimation in dry nitrogen. The product is white and extremely hygroscopic; b.p.
180°C.

Last edited:

1. What are anhydrous chloride salts?

Anhydrous chloride salts are a type of chemical compound that contains both a metal ion and a chloride ion. They are called "anhydrous" because they do not contain any water molecules in their chemical structure.

2. How are anhydrous chloride salts different from hydrated chloride salts?

Anhydrous chloride salts do not contain any water molecules in their chemical structure, whereas hydrated chloride salts do. This means that anhydrous chloride salts are typically more stable and have different physical and chemical properties compared to their hydrated counterparts.

3. What are some common uses of anhydrous chloride salts?

Anhydrous chloride salts have a variety of uses in different industries. They are commonly used as catalysts in chemical reactions, as desiccants to remove moisture from a substance, and as electrolytes in batteries. They are also used in the production of plastics, dyes, and pharmaceuticals.

4. How are anhydrous chloride salts made?

Anhydrous chloride salts are typically made by reacting a metal oxide, metal hydroxide, or metal carbonate with hydrochloric acid. The resulting solution is then evaporated to remove any water, leaving behind the anhydrous chloride salt.

5. Are anhydrous chloride salts toxic?

Anhydrous chloride salts can be toxic if ingested or inhaled in large quantities. They can also cause skin and eye irritation. It is important to handle these salts with care and to follow proper safety protocols when working with them.