Exploring Changes in Gravity: Cylindrical Space Station

In summary, the conversation discusses a cylindrical space station with a large diameter and thin walls, rotating in deep space with no gravity. Radial spokes connect the cylinder to the center of motion, and an astronaut climbs one of the spokes to the center. The conversation asks about the fractional change in apparent gravity on the surface of the cylinder and how far the astronaut will fall if they let go halfway up the spoke. The hunch is that angular momentum is conserved but not energy, due to factors such as friction, heat, flexing of the space station, and the motion of the astronaut's body.
bon
1. Homework Statement

cylindrical space station - large diameter, thin walled - radius r, mass M rotating in deep space, no gravity

1)radial spokes of negligible mass connect the cylinder ti the centre of motion. Astronaut mass m climbs a spoke to the centre. What is the fractional change in apparent gravity on the surface of the cylinder?

2)if the astronaut climbs halfway up a spoke and let's go, how far form the base of the spoke will he hit the cylinder? Assume the astronaut is point like..

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

1) Got the answer to be 1+m/M for ratio after/before..

is this right? I applied conservation of energy rather than angular momentum...why is angular momentum not conserved?

2) How do i do this one? Consv of energy again?

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

what is conserved as the astronaut climbs down a spoke - angular momentum or total energy, and why?

bon said:
what is conserved as the astronaut climbs down a spoke - angular momentum or total energy, and why?
What do you think? (and why?)

My hunch is that angular momentum is conserved but not energy...because as he goes down the spoke there is no torque wrt centre of the cylinder..

but can't see why energy wouldn't be conserved..

Friction? Heat? Flexing of the space station? (not to mention the motion of the astronaut's body)

Your hunch is correct.

diazona said:
Friction? Heat? Flexing of the space station? (not to mention the motion of the astronaut's body)

Your hunch is correct.

Thanks okay so how do I solve part 2?

My attempt:

When he's half way up a spoke, I = Mr^2 + 1/4 mr^2

After he let's go I = Mr^2

angular mom is conserved again so Mr^2 w2 = (Mr^2 + 1/4mr^2)w1...

don't see how i can use this to work out how far from the base of the spoke he hits the cylinder!

I don't think I even understand why he'd fall! I thought you only experienced the "apparent" gravity when you were on the inner surface of this rotating cylinder..

so...?

diazona said:

Your hunch is correct.

Sorry just thought I'd quote you to see if you can help with my next question... thanks

?

1. How does gravity change in a cylindrical space station?

The gravity in a cylindrical space station changes because the shape of the station affects the distribution of mass. In a cylindrical space station, the gravity is strongest at the ends of the cylinder and weakest at the center.

2. What causes the changes in gravity in a cylindrical space station?

The changes in gravity in a cylindrical space station are caused by the centrifugal force, which is the outward force acting on objects due to the rotation of the station. This force is strongest at the ends of the cylinder and weakest at the center, resulting in the changes in gravity.

3. How do astronauts adapt to the changes in gravity in a cylindrical space station?

Astronauts adapt to the changes in gravity in a cylindrical space station by adjusting their movements and body positions. They may also use special equipment, such as harnesses, to help them move around the station more easily.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with the changes in gravity in a cylindrical space station?

Yes, there are potential risks associated with the changes in gravity in a cylindrical space station. These include difficulty moving and performing tasks, as well as potential health effects on the human body, such as changes in blood flow and bone density.

5. How do scientists study and measure the changes in gravity in a cylindrical space station?

Scientists study and measure the changes in gravity in a cylindrical space station using various instruments and techniques, such as accelerometers and laser ranging devices. They also conduct experiments and collect data from astronauts living and working in the station to better understand the effects of these changes on the human body and equipment.