Help creating graphs, number lines, etc and formatting them into a larger document

In summary, the speaker is looking for a way to write their math homework digitally with visual representations such as graphs, number lines, and geometric/trigonometric figures. They mention that they have some experience with LaTeX but are overwhelmed and are seeking recommendations for another program or method. The speaker suggests using Mathematica or Python with MatPlotLib as potential options.
ben8090
I want to write my math homework electronically. I need to make graphs, number lines and intervals, geometric/trigonometic figures, and other sorts of graphics, and I need them to align well with the problems they solve. See below

1. [Homework problem solved out step by step]
[graph or other visual representation]
2. [Homework problem solved out step by step] [inequality represented as an interval on a number line]
3. etc
etc

I've learned some LaTeX but it's been quite overwhelming. I'm willing to continue but I do not know how to make the kinds of visual representations that I need, and I don't know where to begin to learn. Could someone help with that? Or could some make any recommendation as to another program or method to electronically write graphic-heavy homework?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

I personally use Mathematica for this type of thing. It is easy to learn, and has great graphics capability. The biggest drawback is that it is not free, so if you don't have access through school you would need to buy it, although student copy is not too expensive. If you want free software, the Python programming language, with the MatPlotLib plotting package is pretty good, and I use it often. Others probably have other software favorites.

1. How do I create a graph or number line?

To create a graph or number line, you can use a variety of software programs such as Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets, which have built-in graphing tools. You can also use online graphing tools or manually draw the graph or number line on paper.

2. What is the best way to format a graph or number line into a larger document?

The best way to format a graph or number line into a larger document is to use the "copy and paste" function. Simply select the graph or number line, copy it, and then paste it into your larger document. You can also save the graph or number line as an image and insert it into your document.

3. How do I label the axes on a graph or number line?

To label the axes on a graph or number line, you can use the "axis titles" feature in Excel or Google Sheets. You can also manually add labels by inserting text boxes and placing them next to the axes. When labeling, make sure to include the units of measurement and a clear title for the graph or number line.

4. Can I customize the appearance of my graph or number line?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of your graph or number line by changing the colors, fonts, and styles of the elements in your graph or number line. Most software programs have options to customize the appearance, or you can manually edit the graph or number line using design tools.

5. How do I choose the right type of graph or number line for my data?

Choosing the right type of graph or number line depends on the type of data you are presenting. For example, if you have continuous data, a line graph would be suitable, whereas categorical data would be better represented using a bar graph. Consider the purpose of your data and choose the graph or number line that best communicates your message.