Set of irrational numbers between 9 and 10 are countable

In summary, the conversation discusses the countability of the set of irrational numbers between 9 and 10. The conversation presents two possible methods of proving that the set is uncountable: a diagonalization method and a bijection method. The experts suggest using the bijection method as it is simpler and more straightforward. The conversation also includes a detailed explanation of how to construct a bijection between the irrational numbers in (0,1) and (9,10). Ultimately, it is concluded that the set of irrational numbers between 9 and 10 is uncountable.
milena24

Homework Statement

The set of irrational numbers between 9 and 10 is countable.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My belief is that I can prove by contradiction.

first, i must prove by contradiction using diagonalization that the real numbers between 9 and 10 are uncountable. (1)

second, i take set of rational numbers Q is countable, hence a subset Q (9,10) is also countable. (2)

third i can prove by contradiction stating I (9, 10) is countable
R(9,10) =
Q(9,10) [Countable per item (2) ] U I(9,10) [ Countable per statement]

This would imply that by closure properties R(9,10) is countable. which is a condtradiction of what we found in 1.

Is this logic sound? Can I prove (1) using the same diagonalization method used for (0,1)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your argument should work to prove that the set of irrational numbers between 9 and 10 is uncountable. However, if you know that the set of irrational numbers between 0 and 1 is uncountable already, why not just construct a bijection between the irrational numbers in (0,1) and the irrational numbers in (9,10)? This would show that they have the same cardinality and the set in question is thus uncountable.

Well, I agree, I should be able to do a bijection as visually and logically we would expect the numbers between 9 and 10 to have the same cardinality as between 0 and 1, but I am not sure on how I would prove this... in class we taught the diagonaliation proof for reals between 0 and 1, and the union proof for irrationals being uncountable using R = I U Q, but we haven't attacked something such as mapping all the numbers in 0,1 to 9,10

I mean, i could prove bijection I *think* as follows:

for a function
F: R [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] R +9 : f(n) = n + 9

Prove it is a bijection
one-to-one:
If f(x_1) = f(x_2) [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] x_1 = x_2
f(x_1) = n_1 + 9 AND f(x_2) = n_2 + 9
If n_1 + 9 = n_2 + 9 [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] n_1 = n_2 [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] x_1=x_2

ONTO:
For all y [tex]\in[/tex] R + 9 [tex]\exists[/tex] x [tex]\in[/tex] R : f(x) = y
For all y = n + 9 [tex]\in[/tex] R + 9 [tex]\exists[/tex] x = n [tex]\in[/tex] R : f(n) = n + 9

Hence I proved any real number can be mapped to a real number +9, so I can map R(0,1) to R(9,10)

Is that right? Or I could do that for irrationals, i presume... but i figured getting the reals over would make my life easier...

There's nothing wrong with your initial argument, so if you're more comfortable with it, then by all means, stick with it; I just thought that constructing a bijection from the irrationals of (0,1) to the irrationals of (9,10) would be simpler. For example, you could have proven this result with the following argument:

Let [itex]A[/itex] be the set of irrational numbers in the open interval [itex](0,1)[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] the set of irrational numbers in the open interval [itex](9,10)[/itex]. Consider the function [itex]f:A \to B[/itex] defined by [itex]f(x) = x+9[/itex]. Since [itex]0 < x < 1[/itex], it follows that [itex]9 < x+9 < 10[/itex]; moreover, because [itex]x[/itex] is irrational, [itex]x+9[/itex] is also irrational. Therefore, every member of [itex]A[/itex] maps to a unique member of [itex]B[/itex]. This proves that [itex]|A| \leq |B|[/itex], and thus [itex]B[/itex] is uncountable.

1. What does it mean for a set of numbers to be "countable"?

Countable sets are those that can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of positive integers (1, 2, 3, ...). This means that each element in the set can be counted and assigned a unique number.

2. How can a set of irrational numbers be countable if they are infinite?

While it may seem counterintuitive, the concept of countability in mathematics applies to infinite sets as well. A set can still be countable if it has a one-to-one correspondence with the set of positive integers, regardless of its size.

3. How do you know that there are irrational numbers between 9 and 10?

This can be proven using the fact that between any two distinct real numbers, there exists an infinite number of other real numbers. Therefore, between 9 and 10, there must be an infinite number of irrational numbers as well.

4. Is there a specific formula for finding the irrational numbers between 9 and 10?

No, there is no specific formula for finding the irrational numbers between 9 and 10. However, we know that any decimal number that does not repeat or terminate is an irrational number, so we can use this fact to find some examples of irrational numbers between 9 and 10.

5. Why is it useful to know that the set of irrational numbers between 9 and 10 is countable?

Knowing that this set is countable can have implications in various areas of mathematics, such as analysis and number theory. It also helps us to better understand the concept of countability and the infinite nature of irrational numbers.