Determine Resultant Force-Couple on T6 Vertebra at F2

In summary, a chiropractor applies a thrust of 400 N at a 90 degree angle to the y-axis on the spinous process of T6. As a result, the superior disc applies a force of 615 N at a 75 degree angle to the x-axis, and the inferior disc applies a force of 620 N at a 70 degree angle to the x-axis. The resultant force-couple at the point of application F2 is -28.78 N in the x-direction and -11.43 N in the y-direction, with a magnitude of 30.97 N and an angle of 21.66 degrees. The equation used to determine this was the moment equation, which takes into account the force and
pinksunbeam

Homework Statement

A chiropractor applies a thrust to the spinous process of T6. The magnitude is 400 N and it is applied 90 degrees to the y-axis. While this occurs the superior disc applies a force to the T6 body of 615 N, 75 degrees to the x-axis. The inferior disc applies a force to the T6 body of 620 N, 70 degrees to the x-axis. Determine the resultant force-couple acting on the T6 vertebra at the point of application F2. The coordinates of the points of application for each force are shown in brackets.

Homework Equations

moment= force by perpendicular distance

The Attempt at a Solution

need to get moments first. I am don't think i did this right but i moved f1 and f3 to f2 and got moment there.
f1=.063x400= 38.75 N.m
f2=.018x620=9.92N.m

is this right way to get the moment for this question? i believe I am doing something wrong with distance

Attachments

• moments.doc
    286.5 KB · Views: 204
Physics news on Phys.org
pinksunbeam said:

Homework Statement

A chiropractor applies a thrust to the spinous process of T6. The magnitude is 400 N and it is applied 90 degrees to the y-axis. While this occurs the superior disc applies a force to the T6 body of 615 N, 75 degrees to the x-axis. The inferior disc applies a force to the T6 body of 620 N, 70 degrees to the x-axis. Determine the resultant force-couple acting on the T6 vertebra at the point of application F2. The coordinates of the points of application for each force are shown in brackets.

Homework Equations

moment= force by perpendicular distance

The Attempt at a Solution

need to get moments first. I am don't think i did this right but i broke f1 and f3 into x and y components. subtracted from f2 to get perpendicular distance.
f1x=.0125 f1y=- .062
f3x=.02 f3y=-.002

then get moments
f1
-7nm, no y its on x axis

f3x= 4.24nm, f3y= 1.17nm. i did 620cos70 perpend D for x and 620sin70 PD for y.
resultant moment add all
-7+4.24+1.17= -1.59 Nm

move all to f2 get resultant force and angle.
f1x= -400n f1y=o
f2x= 615cos75=159.17n
f2y=615sin75=-594,04n
f3x=620cos70=212.05n f3y=620nsin70= 582.61N
add all xs= -28.78N add all ys= -11.43N

resultant angle
c2=a2+b2
use total for x and y=
30.97N

for angle
tan-1 fy/fx=
11.43/28.78= .397
tan-1= 21.66 degrees .

Last edited:

1. What are moments and resultants?

Moments and resultants are concepts in physics that describe the rotational forces and overall force acting on an object. Moments refer to the turning effect of a force around a pivot point, while resultants refer to the overall force acting on an object.

2. How are moments and resultants calculated?

Moments are calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point. Resultants are calculated by adding together all the individual forces acting on an object.

3. What is the difference between a moment and a torque?

A moment is a general term used to describe the turning effect of a force, while torque specifically refers to the turning effect of a force applied to a rotating object.

4. How do moments and resultants affect the stability of an object?

Moments and resultants can affect the stability of an object by causing it to rotate or move in a certain direction. For example, if the resultant force acting on an object is greater than the opposing forces, the object may tip over or move in a specific direction.

5. How are moments and resultants used in real-world applications?

Moments and resultants are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as building structures, designing machines, and analyzing the forces acting on a vehicle. They are also important in understanding the movement and stability of objects in sports and other physical activities.