What is the net force involved in jumping?

• Thread starter AZhang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the normal force is a supporting force that prevents objects from being pulled directly to the core of the Earth. It increases when an external force is applied to an object, such as when jumping. The normal force is a real force and is equal to the force exerted by the object on the surface. In order to jump, the body converts chemical energy into motion and creates an additional force of acceleration. Without the ground, we would fall towards the Earth and the escape velocity can be calculated by multiplying the gravitational acceleration by the distance to "free" space.
AZhang
Ok, so I'm trying to understand the forces involved in jumping, more specifically, right before a person takes off (as in the part where they press into the ground). I know that the weight force is pushing the person down and that the normal force is bigger than the weight force to create a net force that points upwards. But how can the normal force suddenly become larger? I know that the body is pressing down on the floor, but then wouldn't there be both a weight force and the force of the body pressing down, which means that the normal force and the other two forces cancel out, meaning that there is equilibrium? I'm so confused...

Physics news on Phys.org
When your talking about a static object, such as you standing on the sidewalk then the gravitational force pulling you down is equal to the normal force pointing up. When you jump in the air the normal force overcomes gravity and you are lifted in the air. When you come back down to Earth after jumping, the normal force rapidly decelerates according to the flexibility of the sidewalk and then the normal force and gravitational force are equal again.

But how does the normal force increase?

Normal force is not an actual force but more of a pseudo force such as centrifugal force. The normal force is more of a supporting force that prevents you from being pulled directly to the core of the Earth. The normal force increases because of the weakness of gravity and your ability to overcome the entire pull of the Earths mass.

But I thought the normal force is the force the surface exerts on the object. So if the normal force is increasing when you're pushing down, then wouldn't there be some kind of force making it increase?

Well, I guess my main question would be:

If a normal force is the force the surface exerts in reaction to the forces exerted on it, then how will there ever be anything that is not at equilibrium? Because won't the normal force always equal the forces exerted on the surface?

The force making the normal force increase as you push down is created by the surface you are standing on. Let's say you are standing with 10N of force on a surface. As you increase the force to say 20N to jump, the surface also increases its force to 20N.

So you are adding a force to the floor?

Waveparticle said:
Normal force is not an actual force but more of a pseudo force such as centrifugal force. The normal force is more of a supporting force that prevents you from being pulled directly to the core of the Earth. The normal force increases because of the weakness of gravity and your ability to overcome the entire pull of the Earths mass.

A pseudo force is a force that appears because in an accelerating or rotating reference frame, an object will accelerate, seemingly without a force present. To make F=ma valid again, a pseudoforce is invented. In an unaccelerated reference frame, there will be no force and the object will move in straight line, or won't move at all.

The normal force is a real force. It is the force that will hurt you if you fall and reach the ground.

The normal force increases, because you push against the ground with your legs, the ground will be compressed slightly, like a spring that gets compressed, and the ground will push back harder. You'll start to accelerate until you leave the ground.

AZhang said:
So you are adding a force to the floor?

Exactly.

But if you are adding one, wouldn't there be equilibrium?

AZhang said:
But if you are adding one, wouldn't there be equilibrium?

You would be in equilibrium when you are static but as soon as you begin to accelerate upward you are no longer in equilibrium

When jumping the body converts chemical energy to motion. As you straighten your body to jump, an additional force due to the upward acceleration of your body is created.

The net force on the floor is the sum of your gravitational normal force and this force of acceleration.

In this I am treating the gravitational normal force as the body's mass times g.

Would the 'force of G acting on our bodies, be the amount of energy to accellerate us at 9.8m/s/s ?

So if it was not for the ground, we would be falling towards to earth, and I am guessing that there would be some way to calculate the escape velocity ?

Would that be the equivalent energy to accellerate a body at 9.8m/s/s ? against gravity, so that the speed of escape would be that accelerating x the distance to 'free' space?

What is the definition of jumping?

Jumping is the physical act of propelling oneself off the ground and into the air, usually using the legs and feet. It is a form of locomotion and involves the use of force to overcome gravity.

What forces are involved in jumping?

The main forces involved in jumping are gravitational force, ground reaction force, and muscular force. Gravitational force pulls the body towards the ground, ground reaction force pushes the body away from the ground, and muscular force generates the necessary power and momentum for the jump.

How does gravity affect jumping?

Gravity plays a crucial role in jumping as it is the force that pulls the body towards the ground. The greater the gravitational force, the more effort is required to jump and overcome it. Gravity also determines the height and duration of a jump.

What is the role of ground reaction force in jumping?

Ground reaction force is the force that the ground exerts on the body when it pushes off the ground during a jump. This force helps to propel the body upwards and forwards, allowing for a successful jump. The amount of ground reaction force depends on factors such as the speed and angle of takeoff, as well as the surface and footwear used.

How do muscles contribute to jumping?

Muscles are responsible for generating the force needed to jump. They contract and relax in a coordinated manner to produce the necessary power and momentum for a jump. The stronger and more trained the muscles are, the higher and more powerful the jump can be.